Sign in to follow this  
jackt

New Mac Mini

No this is gonna turn into abit of a rant but i cant help it.

Why the hell does the new mac mini use a Intergrated Intel Graphics chip, it seems to me that they just pulled a standard wintelboard off the shelf and made it fit into a mac mini case. WHY OH WHY

I am only a new to mac but i wouldn't buy a computer with intergrated graphics and i certainly dont like macs using em. So what if it supports core image it gonna take all ure RAM

I agree that integrated VRAM is bad, bad, bad, BUT there's another change to the mini that hasn't gotten as much interest: it appears to have TWO RAM slots instead of just one. Now, unfortunately, Apple seems to be selling the base unit at least with 2x256 MB RAM sticks. However, at least it's a little easier to upgrade the RAM on this guy. With enough RAM, the lack of a dedicated video card shouldn't be a big issue for those at whom the mini is targetted.

gekko

it really looks like it is a standard off of the shelf job, this could be painful for apple if their not careful, i don't know the UK price yet but for the price it looks as if you could get a similarly priced PC for alot less. I maybe wrong seen as it takes years for the UK site to update but i can wait

I agree with Gekko, if you put enough RAM in the MAC mini then the onboard graphics shouldn't be a problem. UK prices are much higher than anywhere else (surprised, am not). £449 and £599.

No graphics card option.

Extra RAM costs:

Comes with 512Mb (256x2)

1Gb (512x2) costs an extra £70.01

2Gb (1Gbx2) costs an extra £201.01

The cost of keyboard and mouse has gone up as well. It used to be £39 now £54

Looking expensive as an iMac

:cry:

When could you NOT get a "similarly equipped" PC for less than a mac? My girlfriend has a compaq laptop, purhcased just over a year ago. The price she paid is still several hundred dollars less than the cheapest apple laptop on the market, even with an educational discount. However, I'm wishing more and more that I had convinced her to get an iBook (luckily she doesn't know quite enough about computers to really know how much she's missing). As her photo library grows, she's wanting more and more to do some editing, organizing, emailing... and quite frankly the software she got with her camera is terrible.

The point remains that if you simply want the lowest price point available, macs really shouldn't be your thing. But if you're willing to count the unbelievable included software (both the OS and iLife) and the quality and design of the mac, then suddenly those "similarly equipped" PC's start to look pathetic.

gekko

I was meaning apple always seem to more with less, but by putting it smack in line with a similar spec cheaper PC it may show flaws, not that i think there is any, i just think that apple could done a hell of alot more and a may rant and rave for a day about this but i will still probably get one. All be it with maxed out RAM.

And yes macs a very good value for money but i person looking at macs for the first isnt going to see that, they will see windows box cheap mac expensive, same spec so theres no difference therefore the windows box is better value(i am not counting virus programs that they will have to buy to get any real use out of)

and before anybody says it i know i am going around in circles as each argument bounces off of the each side of my brain

No this is gonna turn into abit of a rant but i cant help it.

Why the hell does the new mac mini use a Intergrated Intel Graphics chip, it seems to me that they just pulled a standard wintelboard off the shelf and made it fit into a mac mini case. WHY OH WHY

I am only a new to mac but i wouldn't buy a computer with intergrated graphics and i certainly dont like macs using em. So what if it supports core image it gonna take all ure RAM

I agree. My main qualm with the new intel Mac Mini is not the intel CPU, it it the intel graphics. This was what I was afarid of when Apple switched to intel. DOWN WITH INTERGRATED GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also the price has raised $100 US.

Mac Mini G4: 32 mb dedicated VRAM, does not support core video, one RAM slot.

Mac Mini Intel: up to 64 mb shared VRAM, supports core video, two RAM slots.

Upgrade the RAM. If you seriously need dedicated VRAM, buy the iMac.

gekko

Graphics do seem very week.Apple are starting to worry me.The next keynotes got to be better than todays non event.

Mac Mini G4: 32 mb dedicated VRAM, does not support core video, one RAM slot.

Mac Mini Intel: up to 64 mb shared VRAM, supports core video, two RAM slots.

Upgrade the RAM. If you seriously need dedicated VRAM, buy the iMac.

gekko

32MB of dedicated memory>64mb intergrated memory.

Also the last PPC (cough superior cough) MacMinis did support core video as they had 64MB of VRAM even though the box said 32MB. So stick that up your pipe and smoke it!

Talk about mixed emotions! I bought my mini (which is the first Mac I've ever owned) last November, so I missed out on the new models by just a few months. I hate that I'm missing the speed increase, but I'm glad I beat the price increase. Had I waited I probably would have passed on the mini because of the higher price and just upgraded my Windows PC.

When could you NOT get a "similarly equipped" PC for less than a mac? My girlfriend has a compaq laptop, purhcased just over a year ago. The price she paid is still several hundred dollars less than the cheapest apple laptop on the market, even with an educational discount. However, I'm wishing more and more that I had convinced her to get an iBook (luckily she doesn't know quite enough about computers to really know how much she's missing). As her photo library grows, she's wanting more and more to do some editing, organizing, emailing... and quite frankly the software she got with her camera is terrible.

The point remains that if you simply want the lowest price point available, macs really shouldn't be your thing. But if you're willing to count the unbelievable included software (both the OS and iLife) and the quality and design of the mac, then suddenly those "similarly equipped" PC's start to look pathetic.

gekko

Get Picassa free from Google.

Talk about mixed emotions! I bought my mini (which is the first Mac I've ever owned) last November, so I missed out on the new models by just a few months. I hate that I'm missing the speed increase, but I'm glad I beat the price increase. Had I waited I probably would have passed on the mini because of the higher price and just upgraded my Windows PC.
That has hit the nail on the head and is exactly what i was meaning. Also a fear for apple if it continues to use stock intel graphics chips, they will lose there creativity by just making new chips fit old form factors. but another theory is that because there is such i tight schedule sacrifices have to be made. Hopefully in the second revision it will get a much better graphics card.

this may be a little pre-emptive but i do suspect that there will be some problems with the grpahics on these things or rather running out of RAM fast, i see this all the time with the fujitsu laptop i have the RAM gets full it cant run so it does windows blue screen (i cant believe i actually turned to ranting about windows in less than two sentences) :lol:

DOWN WITH INTERGRATED GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!!! I think Apple used to actually brag about having a separate graphics card! That can't get rid of it!!!!! They are really starting to make computers just like the standard piece of shit Winbox...

Yeah!!! I think Apple used to actually brag about having a separate graphics card! That can't get rid of it!!!!! They are really starting to make computers just like the standard piece of shit Winbox...

Are you being sarcastic?

Thats taking it abit too far, they maybe like windows boxes on the inside but i am vain so i take the one that looks better making that a mac not a windows box.

i think you all need to stop bitching. i think everyone was expecting so much from this announcment. frankly im amazed we got this much. i did expect a new mac mini though. in january, Jobs said that they were going to continue to release smaller announcments over the course of the next few months. i certainly didn't expect a 'one more thing' this time. this is just an interlude between to points. apple is still getting settled into its intel lines, programs are still being ported over to universal. just give them time to settle in.

now, look at what apple has given us over the years. superior hardware. the fastest computers on the market. beautiful design. an amazing music store that no other company can match. and, OS X. you're all saying "for the same price i can get a pc" yeah maybe you can but you're not going to are you? why would you want to get a wormware box that 1. looks like crap, and 2. feels like crap. why would you go for windows when you can get OS X for the same price??

I've been hanging out for the Mini with the intention of getting one in the next few months. I'm excited about the update and really only disapointed by the price hike (about $200 extra here in Australia) for the high end model with 1Gb RAM. I know it has extra speed and some other bells and whistles (ie extra USB, frontrow & remote) buuuut the extra dollars are really stretching my budget.

Plus now I have to think if it is worth it to take it to the max of 2Gb. I play around with photoshop (hobby) and also with podcasting audio - would the extra Gig (an additional $300) make that much of a difference ?? :?:

I checked out the Mac-Mini as soon as it was announced, because I intended to buy one, but got stopped cold by the price.

By the time I got done configuring it, the little box was over U$1000, which is pretty darn steep, when you consider that the price does not even include a monitor.

I currently travel a lot, and use a G4 Powerbook while on the road. Since I have a monitor at each location, and my home machine needs replacing, I figured I would just get a Mac-Mini, which I could pack in my carry-on case and take with me and use as a pseudo-desktop system at home and at the other workplaces.

But adding RAM, a slightly larger drive and AppleCare just sent the price zooming.

By all rights the base dual-core should be a sub-$500 unit, no more that $700 loaded.

What is the point of this box when a new iMac 17" is about the same price and a better machine?

Exactly what is the target market?

People who don't need a flat-panel display and too much power. I have a good 17" flat CRT, and don't want to pay over $1,000 for a computer.

While i hate integrated graphics and while you can hate me forever about this. I think this is pretty cool, I would jsut buy a 1 GB stick and do it myself. I think it is to power Front row and its not meant to have the best graphics.

I checked out the Mac-Mini as soon as it was announced, because I intended to buy one, but got stopped cold by the price.

By the time I got done configuring it, the little box was over U$1000, which is pretty darn steep, when you consider that the price does not even include a monitor.

I currently travel a lot, and use a G4 Powerbook while on the road. Since I have a monitor at each location, and my home machine needs replacing, I figured I would just get a Mac-Mini, which I could pack in my carry-on case and take with me and use as a pseudo-desktop system at home and at the other workplaces.

But adding RAM, a slightly larger drive and AppleCare just sent the price zooming.

By all rights the base dual-core should be a sub-$500 unit, no more that $700 loaded.

What is the point of this box when a new iMac 17" is about the same price and a better machine?

the target is People who have the hardware and just need the computer, but i do agree the price is a bit high

I'm considering buying one as a media centre, which I'd manage remotely from my iMac. The graphics card spec for these machines look particularly good for this type of function. (http://www.friday.com/bbum/2006/02/28/inte...nis-video-card/)

Agreed, the price increase is steep, and the extra memory I'd have to buy is making it look a less attractive proposition.

I'm considering buying one as a media centre, which I'd manage remotely from my iMac. The graphics card spec for these machines look particularly good for this type of function. (http://www.friday.com/bbum/2006/02/28/inte...nis-video-card/)

Agreed, the price increase is steep, and the extra memory I'd have to buy is making it look a less attractive proposition.

hmm interesting, but that means Rossetta too will take up alot of RAM so maybe stick in a 1 GB stick in place of one of the 256s