Sign in to follow this  
MacSwitcher

I know that it's rather uncouth to ask but...

Can anyone tell me how to de-authorize tracts purchased from iTunes so I can burn them as a data disk? I'm not realy trying to steal music I've just got a friends that set up an iTunes account on my computer before he moved out of state so he could get some stuff on his new iPod. The problem is that now he's got a computer he can put his own music on but it's a work computer and the site is apparently blocked. He was able to put iTunes on with the disk that came with his pod, but he can't authorize his computer now to play the songs that he acctually bought.

Thanks!

You can do it one of two ways...

A.

Choose the "Deauthorize Computer" option from the "Advanced" menu in iTunes

B.

Login to your account on the iTunes Music store and deauthorize all computers from there!

Both of these options will take the authorization away from every protected song in your library so you will have to authenticate again before listening to them.

No, I need to basically get the songs so I can "share" them. My friend doesn't have the internet now so he can't authenticate the computer he's on.

It's the songs that are protected, and the computer that needs to be authorized to play the protected songs. When de-authorizing (a computer, not a song), you are telling iTunes that such-and-such protected songs can no longer be played on that computer. It is not the reverse. You do not de-authorize a song to remove protection, to allow it to be played anywhere. That being said, simply burning an audio CD will allow the songs to be re-ripped without the DRM protection.

Right, just burn an Audio CD. But be sure to tell your friend all of the track/album information.