Neil

Does Being Raised on a Computer make you Spell Bad?

Read the post...  

46 members have voted

1. 1.

• Maybe
    • I don't think

I am a horrible speller. I have been raised on computer... with spell checker and google.

Does anyone think bad spelling has to do with being raised on computers?

You might want to check whether your question was phrased correctly in terms of grammar.

I do believe that there are many young people today whose spelling could be improved. But I would not hasten to blame computers as quickly as perhaps television.

Maybe time spent in IM sessions is detrimental to spelling skills, as there are so many l33t ways to spell things that are not found in any dictionary.

I think the best way to develop good spelling habits is to read those quaint, old fashioned bound paper things with all those alphabet letters printed inside them, you know books.

Sorry, I never proof read anything. But I should, thanks for pointing that out.

You might want to check whether your question was phrased correctly in terms of grammar.

I do believe that there are many young people today whose spelling could be improved. But I would not hasten to blame computers as quickly as perhaps television.

Maybe time spent in IM sessions is detrimental to spelling skills, as there are so many l33t ways to spell things that are not found in any dictionary.

I think the best way to develop good spelling habits is to read those quaint, old fashioned bound paper things with all those alphabet letters printed inside them, you know books.

i read like crazy and i am great at spelling (mainly when i want to)

I think I have read like 6 [chapter] books in my entire 14 years of life. Nothing to long though, so no Harry Potters.

I think I have read like 6 [chapter] books in my entire 14 years of life. Nothing to long though, so no Harry Potters.

Ive read the first 5

Ive read the first 5

I read the 5 th and the 6th in one day. However my speeling and grammers are porr. (Just joking.)

I spell pretty well...although I have to because I'm a teacher. 8)

Also of note: Safari has a built in spell checker...no reason you should have to misspell things. Unless of course you are stuck at work using a Winblows box.

Also of note: Safari has a built in spell checker...no reason you should have to misspell things. Unless of course you are stuck at work using a Winblows box.

where is the spell check?

If anything it should improve your spelling. You spend more time reading and writing. Helps but isn't exactly good enough to really teach it.

I think schools don't properly teach spelling anyway. Don't spend enough time on it, to properly teach spelling they'll have to drill it into the kids throughout several years of school and into high school I think.

i read like crazy and i am great at spelling (mainly when i want to)

However, capitalization and punctuation are a different story, right? ;-) :lol:

Seriously, though, as for the original OP's question, I agree with The Professor in that I believe IM and email have helped to degrade the proper use of grammar and spelling.

I heard a very interesting podcast on this very subject the other day from NPR. A linguist was talking about how he viewed the "IM language", as he put it, as a "new" language that has increased the depth of the English language. It was an interesting discussion.

where is the spell check?

Turn it on by cmd-clicking in the box and click turn on spell check while typing.

Did you guys know that you can press the Command key and the colon (:) and the Dictionary API (same as hovering over a word and pressing Ctrl-Cmd-D) will check all the words in the edit box when typing a message on the forums.

I've been raised on a computer and my spelling is great. The key is to not fall into the common ways of spelling thing on IM, forums, etc.

Another reason for my good spelling may be that I read ALOT. Anyways, I think computers have corrupted a lot of young minds into spelling bad, but not all.

Ive read the first 5

I read the 5 th and the 6th in one day. However my speeling and grammers are porr. (Just joking.)

Oh, and that is a lie. Unless you are just joking about reading both books in one day also.

Ive read the first 5

Oh, and that is a lie. Unless you are just joking about reading both books in one day also.

It was not a lie or a joke. I find those books easy to read. I am a big reader.

Ive read the first 5

Yeah, I'm the same way with them, but it is physically impossible to read that in one day.

Ive read the first 5

Yeah, I'm the same way with them, but it is physically impossible to read that in one day.

Want to bet!?!

I don't talk much differently in IM than in here...... Which should be so for plenty of people who actually are having a conversation on IM instead of treating it like a cybersex bar.

Want to bet!?!

That's 1,521 pages. There are 1,440 minutes in a day. First of all, I don't think that you literally read for the full 24 hours. I think you would lose atleat 30 min with bath room breaks etc, assuming you didn't eat that day. So that leaves you with about 1,410 minutes left to read the books. You would have to read 1.0787234 pages per minute to finish in the time limit. Which I think is perfectly plausible. But that is still assuming you read for 23 hours and 30 minutes. I just don't think that you read for that long. You may have, but I just don't believe that you could/did.

Want to bet!?!

That's 1,521 pages. There are 1,440 minutes in a day. First of all, I don't think that you literally read for the full 24 hours. I think you would lose atleat 30 min with bath room breaks etc, assuming you didn't eat that day. So that leaves you with about 1,410 minutes left to read the books. You would have to read 1.0787234 pages per minute to finish in the time limit. Which I think is perfectly plausible. But that is still assuming you read for 23 hours and 30 minutes. I just don't think that you read for that long. You may have, but I just don't believe that you could/did.

I could read in the bathroom with a steady supply of coffie and some food.

Want to bet!?!

yes, you could. But did you?

Want to bet!?!

yes, you could. But did you?

No. I read very quickly during camp. I think this should be contiuned elseware. Come to the maccast chatroom and we will discuss this more.

Of course the whole question "Does Being Raised on a Computer make you Spell Bad?" would be irrelevant if English was an easy language to spell and didn't require hours of rote learning at Elementary school to get right (or should that be write :)).

To speakers of many languages (e.g. Spanish) there is no concept of "learning to spell", rules are phonetic and if you apply them, chances are you'll come up with the correct spelling.

Personally I believe that Leet speak is a useful extension to the language and shows it's alive and adapting.

However, the foundations of Grammar/Spelling/Punctuation need to be taught in school.