Neil

Does Being Raised on a Computer make you Spell Bad?

Read the post...  

46 members have voted

1. 1.

• Maybe
    • I don't think

I think it's more mobile phones have led to the deterioration in spelling. On computers for essays and letters you still need to be able to spell well enough so that the spellchecker understands what you're saying.

In mobiles, loads of people text "C U L8R I AM GOING 4 LUNCH"

I remember reading an article about teachers noticing that spelling was worsening. I think someone actually handed in an essay in text speak once. This is in the Uk though

i know!! i try soo hard not to type like that when text messaging but when it takes 5 minutes to write, i will see you later mom, my grades are good and can you pick subway up for me? it becomes a pain in the @$$

I defitely don't think computers cause bad spelling. I'm the equivilent of a 2nd grader when it comes to handwriting, but I'm a very experienced typer and while I don't think spell checker and the like encourage good spelling, I don't think they hinder it either.

6 Chapter books Niel??? That's pathetic! From another 14-year-olds perspective I consider myself a good speller, at least when I want to be (and I've read a hell of lot more books). I grew up with computers just like anyone else in gen-m. Although it's true we cut corners in almost all forms of communication that involves typing, key pounding, etc. But I like to think that when we get older everybody will have matured in that they will proof-read e-mails and care a little more about what they write and the effects of their bad writing. But that's another problem. Anyway it will be interesting to see, as our generation gets older and how we continue to interact/cut corners.

I was reading chapter books in kindergarten. But priorities change, I guess...

Spelling is a big part reading experience. You learn proper spelling from seeing it used in practice (reading). Computers aren't really to blame, unless you're one of many who favor computers over books...

I don't use too much spell check, but an occasional "mispelling" happens.

-drivec

Spell checker should help people to learn how to spell. It tells you if you mispell and tells you the correct spelling! Computers are helpful to spelling and writing I think. But I certainly think that mobile phones are harmful, it's so difficult to type on them that people take too many shortcuts that encourages bad habbits.

You might want to check whether your question was phrased correctly in terms of grammar.

I read somewhere that Leopard is going to include a grammar checker. (A long time feature of M$ Word) There goes English class!

(Rephrased)

Eye red sum ware that Leopard is go two include an grammer chequer? <- I wonder if Leopard can pick up the bad grammar, and maybe even the homophones?

As a high school student, I am one of very few people I know that types in AIM the same way I would type in a more formal document. InsTeaD of TypIn' LyK DiS which some people actually do, I take a lot of pride in my grammar, spelling, and vocabulary

As a high school student, I am one of very few people I know that types in AIM the same way I would type in a more formal document. InsTeaD of TypIn' LyK DiS which some people actually do, I take a lot of pride in my grammar, spelling, and vocabulary

I agree. I try to have good grammers :rolleyes::rolleyes: . In all seriousness, I too try to have good grammer.

Neat, I never knew about the spell checker in Safari, reason enough to use it over Firefox!

I think it's the introduction to Text Messaging, IM and slang, not computers, that make people have bad spelling. Or maybe it's just poor typing skills.

I cant spell, ive been using computers nearly all my life.

Probably something to do with spell checker!