Sign in to follow this  
shooby

Want to replace your iPod easily? Here's my story...

Okay guys, it doesn't seem that I'll be getting an ibook ANYTIME soon (problems with grades and stuff/parents), but anyways....here's my story with Applecare.

I made a post in the hardware section about how my iPod's hard drive was failing, and I asked what Applecare would do. No one replied, so I took a trip down to the Oakridge Mall Apple Mini Store to get it checked by the Genius Bar.

Nice ol' Mitch said my hard drive was "shocked" and he would "replace" it. Now, I thought that to "replace" it was to replace the hard drive, but nope. He REPLACED the iPod ON THE SPOT. After my dad signed the release forms (for my old iPod), I was good as new.

Now I have an unscathed, perfect condition iPod STILL in the plastic wrapping because I do not know what to do with it to minimize scratches, chips, etc (I've learned my lesson from my previous iPod).

Now, why did they replace it? I have a couple of prepositions. The hard drive could have been easily replaced, but Mitch replaced the iPod itself because he did not have the experience of opening an iPod up and replacing the hard drive. My other guess is that since the store was about to close (it was 8:57 and the store closes at 9), he simply did not have the time and just replaced the iPod because I told him i needed it for tonight (to listen to podcasts ya know :wink: ).

I consider myself lucky, but does anyone else have input on this?

That is surprising, but I don't know much about Apple's replacement policy. To protect your iPod, I use a rubber skin sleeve that is thinner than those iSkin versions. My wife uses the iSkin version on her U2 iPod and doesn't like it too much. It's thicker, so makes the iPod larger than it seems. I also cut my PocketPC screen protectors to fit the iPod screen and it protects both of our iPods. Works great.

do you have a link to the rubber skin? I don't like the iskin very much either after looking at my friend's iskin mini

i have a similar story

after about 10 months of heavy use (being dropped, shocked, scratched, and kicked), my ipod's harddrive was shot. i went to my local apple store and asked a genius named tim about replacing it using my 1 year warranty. he looked it over, and after about 5 min. of close scrutiny found a dent in the case that he said was the reason for my problems. according to him, apple would not replace it because it died because of "mistreatment". I came back on Friday night with my father and talked to another genius. keep in mind that i was at a mini store so the entire staff was made up of about 5 people. The genius was being overwelmed by a few angry costumers, so i patently waited my turn and presented her with my ipod. she took a glance at it and went to the back of the store to get me a replacement.

I think that the key to getting a replacement is catching the genius or apple person offguard.

Actually, I think this is by design. My brother had a 4 GB Mini that the HD started fritzing and he sent it to Apple, who promptly sent him back a brand new one.

Yeah, my iPod died on the 3rd of this month. Apple gave me a brand new iPod. My HD died and they didn't want to replace the HD, but that is actually what they do is just give people a new iPod so they can examine the iPod.

well, another great example of why to get the extended warranty.

I've heard a lot of similar stories. It seems that usually they just replace it instead of fixing it.

My father is the all time slayer of iPods. He started out with a 10 gb 1st gen iPod which died after a year. They only had 15 gig models to replace it with so off he went happy with his new free upgrade. A year after that, the same thing - he now has I think a 40 gb 2g iPod - I think he had to pay bit for that upgrade though.

I think that it must be cheaper for Apple to just replace them than it is to repair them. Maybe they refurbish the used ones? Hmmm...

my dad forthe christmas of 03 got me a samsung 20 gig mp3 player after about 8 months the firm ware got messed up and we took the player back under warrenty the nice people at best buy immediately replaced with anew 20gig 4th gen ipod and a 2 year replacement plan. in febuary of 05 my friend was playing with my ipod and decided to stick a super magnet to it and me not knowing what magnets did to hdd didnt stop him big mistake after a few sour words i took the ipod back to best buy and got a new one instantly i now plan to do the same thing again " accidently" andget a new color screen one once they have them in stock

cody

Yep, they always do that.

And the nice thing is: if they don't have any longer your particular model in stock, they will probably give you the brand new one (with more or less the same capacity, if it exists).

well, my 1st gen iPod is really dead. i've narrowed it to either the RAM chip or the HDD because the iPod freezes up randomly, so its either when it hits the bad RAM sector or HDD. do you think the apple store would hook me up with a new ipod if i gave it to the genius for a look? i already have a 4th gen that i got from freeipods after my 1st gen died, but I am just wondering before i throw that 1st gen in the trash.

Hey all

You said that you got an iPod from freeiPods.com. Does this actually work as I thought it was some pyramid scheme where you have to keep paying some stupid sum of money and in the end not get anything from it. Did you have to pay anything to get your "free" iPod?

I'm anxious to know if it works as I could do with a nice new iPod.

Mo

nah ive done it before all you do is sign up for an offer which is like blockbustere or something and they after they credit you, you can unsubscribe and not pay a cent. yet the blockbuster deal is great. then you have to get 5 people to sign up for deals under your account and they send you a free ipod.

works great but had to wait a while to convince 5 people to sign up for me but it really does work

nah ive done it before all you do is sign up for an offer which is like blockbustere or something and they after they credit you, you can unsubscribe and not pay a cent. yet the blockbuster deal is great. then you have to get 5 people to sign up for deals under your account and they send you a free ipod.

works great but had to wait a while to convince 5 people to sign up for me but it really does work

took me 6 months to get 5 people.

I too had an iPod replaced on the spot a few years ago. My 1st Gen iPod locked up after a firmware update. I did a hard reset, but still the iPod remained locked. I took it to the apple store, and they were unable to get it going so they just swaped out my old 1st Gen (5GB) iPdd for another.