Sign in to follow this  
iBasden

x or 10?

What do you say?  

30 members have voted

1. 1.

• OS ten
    • OS X

I say a combination of osX and OSten when I speak about the apple operating system. Which do you use?

Until it actually arrived a few years ago, I used to call it OSX.

One day after buying OSX, I was given a stern lecture by an Apple fanatic that it is pronounced OS TEN. Since then, I've been able to remember to say ten.

Oddly, I always thought of myself as an Apple fanatic, but whoa! I had to step back.

Besides it's easier to say ten-point-four-point-three, than it is to say X-point-four-point-three...

:roll:

-Rob

What about if I say neither?

Usually I refer to the different versions of OS X by their codenames (ie. Jaguar, Panther, Tiger). However, in writing I refer to OS 10.x.x as OS X and then specify the codename to be more specific...

What about if I say neither?

Usually I refer to the different versions of OS X by their codenames (ie. Jaguar, Panther, Tiger). However, in writing I refer to OS 10.x.x as OS X and then specify the codename to be more specific...

This is not acceptable. You are shunned and your title of Supreme Mac Geek revoked.

;)

Rob

This is not acceptable. You are shunned and your title of Supreme Mac Geek revoked.

;)

Rob

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

X is the roman numeral for 10 didn't you guys go to school? if you see a star wars movie do you say "Hey look star wars episode V is on?", well i don't. J

when jobs released os 10 he was thinking, hey putting a big X on the boxes is gonna better than a big 10 so he makes it OS X but knowing that is the roman numeral for 10, then it gets released and he hears people saying "hey i've got os X" and then get's all angry

HOW CAN U PEOPLE SAY SUCH THINGs

i say just wut ever comes out. it could be x or ten i dont really know. i think when im talkin to a windows user it is mostly ten that i am saying. mac, who knows. x or ten.

This is highly debatable subject.

Out of habit I tend to call it OS 'ecks' But technically this is wrong do we say 'I' when we see the Roman Numaral for one? Do we say "vee" when we see V? I don't know, but I call it OS 'ecks'

X is the roman numeral for 10 didn't you guys go to school? if you see a star wars movie do you say "Hey look star wars episode V is on?", well i don't. J

when jobs released os 10 he was thinking, hey putting a big X on the boxes is gonna better than a big 10 so he makes it OS X but knowing that is the roman numeral for 10, then it gets released and he hears people saying "hey i've got os X" and then get's all angry

HOW CAN U PEOPLE SAY SUCH THINGs

come on man, you don't give us enough credit! All of us know the roman numerals. X just plain sounds better to me. That's why I say it.

I end up saying OS "X" to a lot of people and then correct myself and say OS ten. :)

come on man, you don't give us enough credit! All of us know the roman numerals. X just plain sounds better to me. That's why I say it.

and another reason i don't like saying OS X is because when i used to say OS X people who have no idea what OS 10 or Macs are think i was saying OSEX

adam better know about this terrible fact

I know OS 10 is correct thing to say. But OSX sounds cooler, more unix like also.

And distinctly seperates it from earler mac os's better.

I just call it X, no OS, no 10, I just like the way it sounds. Besides the look of the little lost Windows users saying "you use what?", is precious.