Sign in to follow this  
shamrog12

Upgrade to DUAL 1.6GHz Sonnet Processor or buy Intel Mini?

I have a DUAL 867MHz PowerPC G4 with 1.6GB RAM right now and I was thinking about ordering that service from OWC where I could upgrade to DUAL 1.6GHZ for $500. I think they use Sonnet processors. I was wondering if that upgrade would be better for me than buying an Intel Mini with upgraded RAM.

I guess one other I'm thinking about is whether software will work well with the Sonnet processor? Should I embrace the Intel? Is a DUAL PowerPC going to be faster than the Intel Mini?

Cost is a concern for me also so I don't want to buy a DUAL G5 or anything.

Looking for some opinions. Thanks.

If the costs were going to be nearly the same, I think I'd go for the Core Mini. You'd be grabbing a lot more future usability.

On the other hand I have no experience at all w/Mac processor upgrades, but just as a hunch I suspect you're less likely to have compatibility problems in 2 or 3 years by going the mac Mini route.

On the downside, the Mini does use 2.5" notebook drives, these are typically slower than the 3.5" drives used in most desktop computers. You could use an exernal hard drive with a Mini, but that's going to be extra $$$.

I would go for the processor upgrade.

I also wonder about the dual processor capabilities of the PowerPC being superior to a single Intel chip BUT I have read about how the Intel chip architecture is like a dual processor because there are two chips on one processor or something? I don't want the computer to lag when I have my iSight on, PhotoShop open, iTunes playing, and whatever else. If there was an Intel G5 tower out that would help me make the decision. I fear that a mini won't be able to handle the workload... plus I can't stick two drives inside a mini like I can the PowerPC tower. Dilemmas dilemmas.

I also wonder about the dual processor capabilities of the PowerPC being superior to a single Intel chip BUT I have read about how the Intel chip architecture is like a dual processor because there are two chips on one processor or something? I don't want the computer to lag when I have my iSight on, PhotoShop open, iTunes playing, and whatever else. If there was an Intel G5 tower out that would help me make the decision. I fear that a mini won't be able to handle the workload... plus I can't stick two drives inside a mini like I can the PowerPC tower. Dilemmas dilemmas.
I rest my case. Get the PPC.

So you think that the processor upgrade would allow me to achieve my goals more than an Intel Mini? Is this just your opinion or do you have some further justification for your opinion?

So you think that the processor upgrade would allow me to achieve my goals more than an Intel Mini? Is this just your opinion or do you have some further justification for your opinion?

I say this because you want to add 2 HDs. In terms of performance 2x G4s = 1 dual core core duo.

the processors conect via PCI i beleive and benchmarks were ran that compared such a system to a like you want to acheive with the powermac and the core duo spanked it hard! but when it does come to upgradibilty the powermac is best and if you use Photoshop alot then continue using the powermac and with photoshop running in Rosetta on the mini they might be the same or slower speeds.

If it were me i would hold off til the intel Powermac (or Macmac) and by that time Cs3 will be universal but if it cost go with powerPC upgrade and you'll be good for another 3-4 years software wise but your machine will be slower and slower to the intels.

p.s in the benchmark they threw in a dual 2.0 GHZ G5 and the mini was close in all tests and beat the powermac in only one of 30 tests.

the processors conect via PCI i beleive and benchmarks were ran that compared such a system to a like you want to acheive with the powermac and the core duo spanked it hard! but when it does come to upgradibilty the powermac is best and if you use Photoshop alot then continue using the powermac and with photoshop running in Rosetta on the mini they might be the same or slower speeds.

If it were me i would hold off til the intel Powermac (or Macmac) and by that time Cs3 will be universal but if it cost go with powerPC upgrade and you'll be good for another 3-4 years software wise but your machine will be slower and slower to the intels.

p.s in the benchmark they threw in a dual 2.0 GHZ G5 and the mini was close in all tests and beat the powermac in only one of 30 tests.

That's kinda what I have been thinking about doing. I am afraid that i might be waiting months and months for this Intel version of the PowerPC. Then who knows what it might cost. Since it would be the first Intel PowerPC there might be flaws that would be quickly fixed in a new version of the computer...

I'm basically stuck. My current computer is slowly showing its age at a time where the newly released computers will surely have some sort of little bug that will be fixed by another release a couple months later, making a purchase of the first release a bad idea. My thinking is that I'd be smartest to wait until the SECOND release of an Intel PowerPC but that could be a really long time. I hate buying the first versions of computers. The minis don't seem to really have problems though. Maybe i'm being paranoid.

The minis seem like portable power houses and have been reported at running 24 FPs in h.264 and photoshop will run hella slow. the only gripe i have about the mini is that rosetta and the integrated graphics take up 25 - 35 % of the total RAm and i would probably max it out at 2 GB which will cost you.

The minis seem like portable power houses and have been reported at running 24 FPs in h.264 and photoshop will run hella slow. the only gripe i have about the mini is that rosetta and the integrated graphics take up 25 - 35 % of the total RAm and i would probably max it out at 2 GB which will cost you.

I might have to wait until the universal binary for Macromedia Studio. I rely on Fireworks a lot. Photoshop is something I can live without. Oh man, my games and other apps would all be running using Rosetta too. People need to start releasing Universal binaries for current apps instead of using it as a guarantee that their next release will be purchased (CS3 is an example of this greed).

Games running in Rosetta haven't experienced any speed decreases or if there are any haven't been noticable.

I might have to wait until the universal binary for Macromedia Studio. I rely on Fireworks a lot.

Fireworks runs very well on my Intel iMac under Rosetta.

Games running in Rosetta haven't experienced any speed decreases or if there are any haven't been noticable.

I play Age of Mythology anyway. Doubt it puts graphics cards to the test :)

Oh you mean the "integrated Graphics" don't worry, your processor is only overlcoked a safe 1 MHZ to accomodate your needs.

Oh you mean the "integrated Graphics" don't worry, your processor is only overlcoked a safe 1 MHZ more to accomodate your needs.

Think I'm going to wait for a Intel tower. I'd be buying a mini and waiting for more Universal binaries so if i'd wait then i might as well really wait. 30th anniversary is soon isn't it?

no question go with the mini because ure getting another COMPUTER rather than an upgrade... and its a tini computer so u can put it almost anywhere... DO IT!!!

no question go with the mini because ure getting another COMPUTER rather than an upgrade... and its a tini computer so u can put it almost anywhere... DO IT!!!

It's single 2.5" drive is a concern for me. I'd like to have another internal drive rather than having firewire and USB2 drives everywhere.