Sign in to follow this  
oyah

USB wireless adapter for my old flat panel iMac

I bought a D-Link 802.11g wireless USB Adapter (DWL-G122) for my old flat panel iMac after the guy in the store said it would work after I downloaded a driver from the D-Link site. But there is no such driver.

Any suggestions about (1) a driver that will run this thing? or (2) a better USB wireless adapter?

Thanks

Aren't those machines equipped with USB 1.1, as opposed to the current standard 2.0? If so, I wouldn't go with a USB option. USB 1.1 is slow as molases, and likely won't be enough to support... well, anything, really.

Standard airport cards can be found on eBay for about $100-$120 CAN, so that's a better option, IMO.

gekko

I recently wanted to add Wi Fi to an existing Mac Mini. Instead of buying an airport card to go inside, I bought an ASUS WL-330G Pocket Wireless Access Point + Ethernet adapter from NewEgg. You can configure this device to be a WAP or a dumb Ethernet~wi-fi bridge. In bridge mode it is essentially transparent to the computer OS.

This should work with any computer that has an Ethernet port, regardless of OS.

Not too much moola either.

You could even buy it from one of my stores, of which there are many.

i am considering connecting my mac mini G4 to my wireless network at home. i was thinking of trying out the D-link DWL 122, but then i heard of the ethernet bridge solution on this forum. i'd like to have your opinion/experience on the pros and cons of the two options. which is easier to set up? which is more reliable (i heard stories of the D-link crashing os x)? other suggested hardware?

thanks in advance for the comments.

-H.