Sign in to follow this  
blur212

Got a Macbook Pro 2.16ghz yesterday.

finally got my macbook pro. aty the soho apple store in nyc. they got lots of macbooks so get them while their hot. just wanted to give my first impressions of it.

its great! i have really loaded up anything on it yet but out of the box its beautiful. this is my first apple laptop (had a powermac g4 933mhz).

haven't really noticed any great speed boost with email or web browsing or widgets. i guess my 933 was just that great for the past 4 years. but thats what i love about apple.

i will start doing my podcast http://www.20minutemixtape.com with my macbook. i use ran scratchlive while recording with garageband and it worked really well on my powermac so on this macbook it will be amazing i hope.

anyway i'll give more updates once i get everything loaded.

check out my podcast at http://www.20minutemixtape.com or search 20 minute mix tape on itunes!

rob.

Congrats on the purchase, I picked up a 2.0Ghz yesterday.

finally got my macbook pro. aty the soho apple store in nyc. they got lots of macbooks so get them while their hot. just wanted to give my first impressions of it.

its great! i have really loaded up anything on it yet but out of the box its beautiful. this is my first apple laptop (had a powermac g4 933mhz).

haven't really noticed any great speed boost with email or web browsing or widgets. i guess my 933 was just that great for the past 4 years. but thats what i love about apple.

i will start doing my podcast http://www.20minutemixtape.com with my macbook. i use ran scratchlive while recording with garageband and it worked really well on my powermac so on this macbook it will be amazing i hope.

anyway i'll give more updates once i get everything loaded.

check out my podcast at http://www.20minutemixtape.com or search 20 minute mix tape on itunes!

rob.

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR, Peaple are getting Mac Book Pros left right and centre! Just you wait until I get mine!

Then look who will be laughing!

MWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA,

Hang on a minute,

Forget the last few sentances!

"I envy you"

Hah... just be patient. I actually ordered mine online and it was due April 3rd. But then I just happened to be in the city and in the Soho store. They had them in! So I was right on the computers canceling my order and getting one there. I was calling all week (all tri-state stores) trying to find one.

I must say one thing that is great is migrating your data from one mac to another. I migrated my user account and loaded up my macbook. The desktop and everything was exactly as it was on my powermac. Go apple. Anyway. Everything is running smoothly.

Somethings:

-No LCD problems like people have report with the white stripe on the bottom.

-No hiss from the Intel core duo.

-Actually no problems at all yet!

I was actually really worried about being an early adopter, but am very much relieved now that I have one and been using it (only a day though).

rob.

Congratulations on the new purchases, Rob and Josh.

Welcome to the forums, Rob.

i have a new mbp and i sometimes will get a hiss but i can switch the duo to a single and then back at it seems to fix the problem.

got no hiss at all on the 2.16. not sure if people get the hiss on the 1.8s? Anyone with a 1.8 out there notice a hiss? Maybe it's something that is specific to the 2.0.

Anyone out there with a 2.16 that can hear a hiss?

i have a new mbp and i sometimes will get a hiss but i can switch the duo to a single and then back at it seems to fix the problem.

No hiss on my 2.0 machine. No other problems to report either.

Rob, did your 2.16 come stock with any other upgrades over the 2.0? I'm wondering specifically about the RAM and Hard Drive. The reason I'm asking is I thought I overheard some employees at my local Apple store say something about a "super laptop" with 2 gigs of RAM and a 7200 RPM hard drive stock on the 2.16 model.

But I couldn't be sure.

Yeah I got a whine on my 1.8. It is driving me nuts. I went and had my other exchanged for a new one. And my new mbp has the same whining sound. It is driving me nuts. I think I need to call apple now.

No hiss on my 2.0 machine. No other problems to report either.

Rob, did your 2.16 come stock with any other upgrades over the 2.0? I'm wondering specifically about the RAM and Hard Drive. The reason I'm asking is I thought I overheard some employees at my local Apple store say something about a "super laptop" with 2 gigs of RAM and a 7200 RPM hard drive stock on the 2.16 model.

But I couldn't be sure.

You could get that super laptop, all it takes is money. I believe the RAM ceiling is 2GB and there is an option for the 7200rpm hard drive. Although just as a note I decided to get my 2.0 with the 5400rpm drive so that I didn't have to order it and because I was advised that the faster drive would impact battery life. With this setup I am getting close to 4 hours of battery life, oh yah and no whine.

But the conversation I overheard made it sound as though the 2.16 machine came stock with the faster hard drive and extra stick of RAM.

If that were the case, it would make the extra $300 a very reasonable price boost.

But I probably just misunderstood--especially since the 1GB of RAM alone cost $300.

That is not the case. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is and $300 for a faster hard drive an extra gig of RAM and a faster processor definitly sounds too good to be true.

the only thing the 2.16 comes with extra is the 7200 rpm HD. Which I wanted anyway. The laptop I got boxed came with 1 GB of RAM.

EDIT: Yes, It would cost the same as if you customized online. No loops with the 2.16. And the only reason I really wanted a 7200 was for sound recording really. I do a lot of audio production and need speedy hard drives. Other than that I keep most of my data (music/photos) oh a 5400 rpm bus powered removeable HD.

No hiss on my 2.0 machine.  No other problems to report either.

Rob, did your 2.16 come stock with any other upgrades over the 2.0?  I'm wondering specifically about the RAM and Hard Drive.  The reason I'm asking is I thought I overheard some employees at my local Apple store say something about a "super laptop" with 2 gigs of RAM and a 7200 RPM hard drive stock on the 2.16 model.

But I couldn't be sure.