Sign in to follow this  
sbradley

Audible verifies each time itunes starts

If I close itunes 6.0.4 then reopen it, whenever I click on any of my Audible content, it wants me to reconnect to audible.com to verify my password before the file will play again. One solution is to never close itunes but when I switch users itunes closes automatically. How can I make itunes remember that I have previously authorized my Audible content? :?:

I don't think that iTunes will allow you to do that. You might want to check your account settings on audible.com. Maybe there is a way to make it remember there.

I've got a few Audible "books" and I've never been asked to verify my password, apart from when I initially download the file. It wouldn't make sense if Audible expected us to be online everytime we listen to their content.

Maybe try removing your Audible content from iTunes and re-downloading it from Audible (from your virtual bookshelf, or whatever they call it).

Or, drop Audible support an email.

I think Ginamos hit the nail on the head. I recently left the PC world due to the ipod halo effect. When I switched I just used me back up DVDs to import the Audible content onto my ibook. I will try to download it from audible again. Thanks.

I think Ginamos hit the nail on the head. I recently left the PC world due to the ipod halo effect. When I switched I just used me back up DVDs to import the Audible content onto my ibook. I will try to download it from audible again. Thanks.

I am having the same problem and I am on a Mac and I downloaded this book (my first purchased book from audible) from audible. I get asked after a reboot, from sleep or when I close and launch iTunes. Why is that? I hate this. And when I connect my iPod after launching iTunes, it says the book couldn't be copied to the iPod because I have to log in to Audible again. Rediculous.

I play Audible eBooks all the time, and sync them to my iPod, and I've been asked for my Audible password exactly once: when I first used iTunes on the computer. (In fact, I just used Apple's migration tool to transfer my accounts to a new iMac, and it never asked me even the first time; It seems to have just migrated over with the orther stuff. I'm sure of that, because if I was asked for it, I'd have to go look it up.)

Last I looked, iTunes kept its account authorization info in the "/Users/Shared/SC Info" folder, in two Info.* files. Check that they are accessible by your user account. Maybe iTunes isn't able to store your authorization there.

Is there a menu item to Authorize or Deauthorize the computer in your iTunes' Advanced menu ?

Last I looked, iTunes kept its account authorization info in the "/Users/Shared/SC Info" folder, in two Info.* files. Check that they are accessible by your user account. Maybe iTunes isn't able to store your authorization there.

Is there a menu item to Authorize or Deauthorize the computer in your iTunes' Advanced menu ?

I don't see that file in that folder.

The Menu reads Deauthorize.

I found this help article on the Audible website that identifies this problem and suggests thatwhen you authorize iTunes to play Audible content, you must be logged in as a user with Administrator priv for the Mac.

If you (like me) do your daily work on a user account that isn't a Mac admin, you may want to give the account admin privs, authorize Audible, then remove the Admin privs again. (Seems to me I may have run into that myself 5 or so years ago. My memory gets fuzzy sometimes.)

- Bruce

PS - BTW, the "SC Info" folder is a hidden folder from Finder. You need to usethe Terminal ("ls -al /Users/Shared") to view it or it's content ("ls -al /Users/Shared/*"). See if the above suggestion from Audible works first.

I found this help article on the Audible website that identifies this problem and suggests thatwhen you authorize iTunes to play Audible content, you must be logged in as a user with Administrator priv for the Mac.

If you (like me) do your daily work on a user account that isn't a Mac admin, you may want to give the account admin privs, authorize Audible, then remove the Admin privs again. (Seems to me I may have run into that myself 5 or so years ago. My memory gets fuzzy sometimes.)

- Bruce

PS - BTW, the "SC Info" folder is a hidden folder from Finder. You need to usethe Terminal ("ls -al /Users/Shared") to view it or it's content ("ls -al /Users/Shared/*"). See if the above suggestion from Audible works first.

Well so far that worked. I quit iTunes. Allowed admin rights. Launched iTunes, Audible asked for autorization, I closed iTunes, then removed admin rights, launched iTunes, played book, and it worked. I even tried it a few times. I also connected my iPod and it didn't ask for auth again.

Thanks so much for researching that for me car1son. I really appreciate it. I hope it sticks.

Take Care.

- Bruce

Brilliant! This issue has been bugging me for months! Why did I ever bother to search google for an answer, when I should have come here immediately. Oh, ye of little faith. Thanks so much!