Sign in to follow this  
The Dead Herring

Xbox 360 wireless adapter.

Hey guys,

I'm going to be getting an Xbox 360....

(Time for you to cool down)

Yes I know it's microsoft but the Mac just isn't built for games.

So, I have a wireless network in my house with my two iMacs and a powerbook. I really want to get my Xbox right into the network to experience Xbox Live, which apparently is one of the best things about the 360.

But to my dismay, the officiall "Xbox 360 wireless network adapter" costs in the reigon of £60!!! If you ask me, that is rediculous for what is really a relatively simple piece of technology seeing as I can pick up a comparable product for merely £20.

But the problem is, a third party USB wireless network adapter may not be compatable, we all know how Microsoft works don't we?

Are there any 360 owners out there who can confirm if third party USB wireless adapter will be compatable eg this]http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Accesso...%20adapter]this

If you do have a third party adapter, which one is it, where did you get it, but most importantly, does it work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hey Red Herring,

I have a Xbox 360 with there wireless adapter. I thought the same thing why does it cost so much????? Anyway I decided to buy the xbox adapter.It's nice and clips into the back of the 360. Very clean looking. I almost bought a D-Link wireless adapter.Try this link http://games.dlink.com/products/category.aspto I think it may be xbox compitable.. I've been told by hardcore gamers that the xbox adapter is good. It's 802.g and backward compitable with b. Hope this helps a little.

Sorry I meant Dead Herring

I may aswell go with the official adapter, at least that way I can garuntee compatability, but if anybody owns a 3rd party adapter that works with the 360, please link me to it.

if your not going with the official USB thing then no other USB will work however you can use a wireless bridge which basically takes wireless and makes wired. I mainly use netgear stuff http://netgear.com/products/details/WGE111.php this will work with the 360 becuase all you do is take the ethernet from the bridge to the back of the xbox and plug in there and your away

hi The Dead Herring,

i have an xbox 360 and i was in the same situation as you. I had a Linksys wireless adapter which i used with my original xbox, and my wireless router was on the third floor. I had a connection but it was crap! I recommend you buy the microsoft wirless adapter, it is expensive but its clean looking and supports a/b/g networks. So you can be sure your network adapters supports what wirless hub you have. Also if you have WPA encryption on your wirless network, the microsoft adapter also supports that. Setting this up is real easy though i set my system up the long way. I can give you further details on how to setup if you wish. Also, if you plan to network you xbox 360 to share music and such from a mac, there is a neat little app which is strictly for the mac. But if you have a PC you just need to download the media connect 2.0 free from the microsoft update page and go through the setup, i can give further details to this also. Oh and whats your gamertag? Mines TorturedArtist.

kas

I also have a Xbox 360 and I love it. It sits next to my router so i dont' bother with the wireless. I have the wireless controllers and thats good enough. :D