Sign in to follow this  
pauljk

RAZR v3 Photos to Mac

Chris asked about moving photos from his Motorola RAZR v3 to his Mac. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this via USB, but if you have Bluetooth on your Mac, you can do it just fine without doing any hacks. I believe I've heard that there were some issues pre-Tiger, but I've done it from 2 Tiger machines with no problem. I've also done if from my son's Mac running 10.3.9.

Once you complete the Bluetooth setup and get the phone and the computer paired, simply use Bluetooth File Exchange to see the folders on the phone. You can copy both pictures and MP3 files (to use as ringtones).

I'm frankly not sure why Dave Taylor felt there was a hack necessary for this, unless he was having trouble on an older version of OSX or perhaps an issue with Verizon phones (I have Cingular).

Paul

Hey, I was just about to post the same thing. After I enable/setup Bluetooth on my RAZR V3 I can retrieve photos, videos and ringtones with my iBook (w/Bluetooth running Tiger). Same goes for adding pictures and ringtones onto the phone from the iBook. A very easy, painless operation.

Btw, I'm also a Cingular customer.

The hack was made for the Verizon version of the RAZR, the V3c. Verizon has a history of locking down the OBEX capability of bluetooth phones which therefore prevents users from using the full capability of the bluetooth functionality. Basically they lock it down so that you can link it up to bluetooth headsets and thats it. They want to charge you for using their network to get pictures off the phone ($0.25/email is only way to get pictures off of phone) and make you download ringtones instead of being able to upload them. If you continue to read the thread of posts after the hack you will see that the hack only works for RAZR V3c's that are running software version .02 (which Verizon apparently forgot to shut down OBEX on). The hack, which allowed the Mac to see the phone, made it possible to transfer data files between the phone and Mac. Verizon has recently upgraded to version .03 of the software and OBEX is gone again. Therefore the hack does not work on the newest software update for the phone. I just purchased a RAZR V3c from Verizon this past weekend and it has .03 software so I am out of luck.

The Alltel and US Cellular versions have full BT. I'm with USCC and its fantastic with a Mac. However, the plist modification does not always make the phone work with iSync. I use the shareware program OnSync for Contacts and its fantastic. Transferring ringtones and pics is a breeze, too.

BT_browse_3.gif

Sign in to follow this