Sign in to follow this  
Neil

Will BlueRay / HD-DVD come to a mac soon?

I know it is really really really early... but... what is Apple's history with new media formats? And what do you think the intial price would be? Thanks

(I am refering to built-in)

I apple probably start alowing you to add an hd/bluray drive as a custom build option, when prices fall to $300, and even then it will probably only be for the powermacs, as the slot loading drives for the other machines will still not be availible. This will probably take over 15 months to happen - it really depends on how quickly the technolgy takes off, and whether a dual compatible drive exists.

Apple has a long history of adopting new media formats the minute they're out. The bad side of that is that Apple also has a long history of dropping old media formats the minute they're obsolete. But I think once cheap BluRay drives arrive we'll see them in PowerMacs (or Mac Pros if the rumors come true) within a couple of months.

yeah commonly Apple is way ahead in technology, which can sometimes lead them to screwing themselves (i.e. Newton)