Sign in to follow this  
TacoOrtega09

I wish there was a Nano 6gb

I think it would be the best thing (for me at least) if Apple would do the Nano like the Mini and release a 6gb Nano. Of course this would be after a decline in price of all Nano Models.

A 6GB nano surely wouldn't suck! Of course, neither would a 10 or 20GB. I can always fill more space, but I don't want the size of the case to increase.

I think the technology for flash memory is not there yet. I might be wrong but do they have flash drives that big?

I'm sticking with my mini because I don't want to have to pare down my playlists from 6 gig to 4.

If there was an 8 or 10Gb nano, I'd get one in a heartbeat.... even if the case was a bit thicker, it would still be pretty darned small!

I think the technology for flash memory is not there yet. I might be wrong but do they have flash drives that big?

Yes. Apple has the ability to release a 64gig nano at this very moment if they want to. Samsung makes up to 32gig pieces of NAND that can easily be put in place of the current sticks. I was working on doing this for a while. its not difficult at all. The only hard part is getting your hands on some. Its almost impossible because its all beeen bought up by bigger companies. Guess who we have to thank for that.

There is a Seagate 1 inch, 12 GB harddrive... seems cool, as 12 GB of HDD would be cheaper than 12 GB of flash memory.

There is a Seagate 1 inch, 12 GB harddrive... seems cool, as 12 GB of HDD would be cheaper than 12 GB of flash memory.

and more likely to fail. but my experience witrh flash memeory (shuffle) locked up and erased all my songs. i still don't know how it happened.

The shuffle does actually lock up a lot.

But yea I'm sure other companies have 6gb flash mp3 players, and 4gb. to 30gb just is too big of a gap for a lot of people. I have more than 1,000 songs, but I'll never get anywhere near 7,500.

depends who is buying it. You woudnt believe how cheap it really is for apple to buy flash memory.

For $5000 :P

Anyway, I had a Shuffle for a short period of time (I sold it for a few reasons, and this was a major one), and it would regularly just refuse to play all of the songs except for one or two albums, and then suddenly work fine again. I was once stuck on a 2 hour drive with only a short (22 minute!) album because my Shuffle wouldn't play the rest. It just acted like they did not exist, that the single album was the only thing on there. I quickly got bored, put it down, picked it up only about half an hour later... and all of the songs were playing fine. It did something like this very often, working and then refusing to play certain songs, but recognising them when plugged in, and then failing to play other ones when unplugged, but working fine for others. It always did or did not play entire albums or artists, but never random songs... although the albums and artists it decided not to play were pretty much random. Although one would think it would be a possible cause for the random disappeance (again, not disappearance from iTunes with the iPod plugged in, but the 'Pod acted like they weren't there) of entire albums, format did not seem to be involved in any way-- some formats would work, some wouldn't, in no pattern or order. Even when an album of a specific format would not play, other albums of the same format would play perfectly well, and assorted albums of a completely unrelated format would work fine. So, not a formatting problem, but it only affected one (or two, or three, but simultaneous cases did not seem related) albums or artists... very, very weird. I have had a normal iPod do the exact same, where it will not play a song until you reset it, and I guess it is the same, and that has been reported several times, but with no screen, you cannot tell if the iPod does think they are there at all or not.

EDIT:L Sorry about the jumbled sounding post, I am a bit not awake...

I would have preferred an 8GB or 10GB iPod mini with color screen. I like the size of the mini more than the Nano, which I just feel is "too small".

Its technology, its supposed to get smaller and magically gain more features. Eventually there will be an iPod the size of a germ with 900 Terabytes of storages.

Its technology, its supposed to get smaller and magically gain more features. Eventually there will be an iPod the size of a germ with 900 Terabytes of storages.

And my wife won't be able to find that when she looks for it.

She loses her nano in her bag enough as it is.