Sign in to follow this  
tide96

iMac Intel goes dead when awakening

Here's the deal.

Intel 2.0ghz iMac

I installed one 512mb stick of memory in addition to the 512 I already had, from newegg (Gigaram Memory) which bumped my total to 1gig. I have the computer to go in sleep mode after 20minutes of idle. Well when I click the mouse to awake it, the screen wants to light up but then goes dead. After that nothing I do can awake it. Sitting there with a black screen. It's still running because you can hear the fan or hardrive. So my question is. Is the memory I just installed doing this?? I never had a problem before I installed the memory... By the way it has only done this twice.

Thanks!!!

have you taken the memory out to check if that is the problem. you also said that it has only done this 2x so it has not done it every time?

The problem never occurred with the mac in stock form.. The two times that it has freaked out is when the memory was installed. The "freak outs" are spordiac. I haven't taken the memory out to see if that would work... Could I do a memory test. That should tell me if the mem is bad???

Thanks

The problem never occurred with the mac in stock form.. The two times that it has freaked out is when the memory was installed. The "freak outs" are spordiac. I haven't taken the memory out to see if that would work... Could I do a memory test. That should tell me if the mem is bad???

Thanks

I'd do a memory test, but keep in mind that there could be a memory problem that the test does not find.

I certainly would not ignore the fact that this did not occur until after you added memory.

It is conceivable that some sort of timing or latency difference between your original memory and the added memory might mean they are not 100% compatible.

Sometimes it is better to install identical memory sticks into a computer, as this eliminates timing differences across the memory pool.

Memtest does a great job. It's x86 only, but that should be alright with an Intel iMac.

As they don't feature a specific Mac-release, I think you would have to download the linux source package and compile it yourself.

Sorry, but that's the easiest way I know and IMHO Memtest does a great job. :roll:

Ok, this IS a lot easier. 8)

Professor, here's a link describing the memory I bought. It looks like it matches what apple states on the link. What are your thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16820221044

That is almost exactly the same RAM I put into my 20" Intel iMac, except that I bought 2 sticks of 1gb each using this URL:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16820221043

I removed the original 512mb stick that was in my machine, and I'm holding it for my next Intel Mac *cough*MacBook*cough*

So I think the RAM you bought should be OK, but it is still conceivable that because of some difference in latency your new RAM might not play nicely with your original RAM.

Well I ran the apple hardware program and no problems found. Professor, would you just remove the apple memory and buy another 512mb gigaram or a 1g stick.

Well I ran the apple hardware program and no problems found. Professor, would you just remove the apple memory and buy another 512mb gigaram or a 1g stick.

Before you spend the money, I'd suggest a week or two of watching how well the machine behaves.

If it does continue I'd probably buy another identical Gigaram stick. My iMac is completely reliable with the Gigaram installed.

Good luck!

Why don'y you contact gigaram or newegg. The RAM should definitly be under warranty and RAM companies tend to be very good about exchanging RAM. It is very possible you just got a flaky stick of RAM. I would get it swapped out and then at least you would know for sure that it is not just a fluke piece of bad RAM.

Well I just got my RMA # from newegg. I'm going to send it back and have them return a new one to me. I hope this works