Sign in to follow this  
maxman

Can someone explain this?

So i was at the apple store yesterday, doing so test between a ibook and a MacBook Pro, both with 512mb of ram. When it came to launching apps (apple apps) the mac book was about twice as fast, and when playing the 1080i video in iMovie. Ok that makes sense, wheres the weird thing. When i rendered the imovie project out to .mov on each mac, the ibook was twice as fast. Thats RIGHT, the mac book pro was SLOWER than the iBook for rendering iMovie video. I tried mixing down in Garageband, it was the same thing. The ibook was twice as fast!. I DOn't get it, can anyone explain

Thanks

IN Christ

Max

i am not entirely sure about this but i think it is something to do with the G4s built in features AltiVec which isnt supported on the intel chip.

I wouldnt dream of doing any research at an apple store. you have no clue how much crap is on those computers, etc. If you want comparison results, just save your self some time and search online.

I don't have a .mov comparison but from my experience the MacBook Pro should have come out ahead on the mixdown. I had a 1GHz G4 TiBook and replaced it with a 2.13GHz MacBookPro. Both were maxed on RAM - the TiBook had 1GB and the MBP has 2GB. Presuming the iBook you tried was standard spec, it was probably 1.42GHz so it would have been up to 40% faster than my TiBook but 1/2 the RAM. I podcast my lectures and the MBP was doing a 50 minute lecture mixdown and convert to MP3 in about 1/2-1/3 the time of the TiBook. I didn't get a chance to try them in parallel to get an exact benchmark but the difference was very obvious. I can do a mixdown in parallel between a dual 2.7GHz G5 and the MBP.

Did you ask anyone at the apple store?

That would have been the first thing i did if I saw that!

i am not entirely sure about this but i think it is something to do with the G4s built in features AltiVec which isnt supported on the intel chip.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason. AltiVec in the G4s and G5s handles all the complex math involved in encoding video and audio. Lack of a comparable technology on the Intel chips is probably the reason we haven't seen Intel PowerMacs (Mac Pros?) yet.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason. AltiVec in the G4s and G5s handles all the complex math involved in encoding video and audio. Lack of a comparable technology on the Intel chips is probably the reason we haven't seen Intel PowerMacs (Mac Pros?) yet.

doesn't the AlitiVec Velocity Engine emulate a 128 bit chip and it won't be be mac pros but Macmac (pro)

I'd say it's a bit of a ram issue for the MacBook. Plus, if you were using any Rosetta items, it would have eaten away at the free ram.

Bad news people. The Velocity Engine is effectively dead. The equivalent to this is SSE 3. While SSE 3 isn't as nice and beefy as the G4/G5 vector unit, it can still do the job. It cannot be physically added to the Core Duo or the upcoming Conroe. The good news is that Apple provides Accelerate Framework to help developers along. It provides a way to help them deal with the Altivec/SEE transition.

Read up here:

http://developer.apple.com/performance/acc...eframework.html

Sounds a bit too high-level to do a lot of the stuff the AltiVec did. But I'm not a programmer, so I may be wrong.

Of note:

Apple claims that the PowerPC is faster than Pentiums for certain multimedia applications ([3]), but these are not corroborated by other independent sources, and don't isolate specific AltiVec based kernels. Essentially no publicly disclosed objective analysis demonstrates any particular advantage of AltiVec over the SSE family of SIMD instruction sets, though in theory it should be faster for some applications because of AltiVec's larger register and instruction sets.

From the wiki...

doesn't the AlitiVec Velocity Engine emulate a 128 bit chip and it won't be be mac pros but Macmac (pro)

I saw you posting this somewhere else, why do you think it will be called the macmacpro? It would seem to me that there will be the macbook pro, macbook, imac, and macpro. Not to mention that macmacpro is such a terrible name. You can't tell me that as savvy as apple marketing is they would really use a name like that. It's too hard to say.

I saw you posting this somewhere else, why do you think it will be called the macmacpro? It would seem to me that there will be the macbook pro, macbook, imac, and macpro. Not to mention that macmacpro is such a terrible name. You can't tell me that as savvy as apple marketing is they would really use a name like that. It's too hard to say.

Oh about the Macmac (pro) is just a joke for the intel powermac and i based it on this, Apple took out power from powerbook and might not keep power any longer and instead put Mac in the name hence Macmac (pro)

Oh about the Macmac (pro) is just a joke for the intel powermac and i based it on this, Apple took out power from powerbook and might not keep power any longer and instead put Mac in the name hence Macmac (pro)

I actually just came accross this joke, but Apple has already trademarked "Mac Pro".

Wow, mac pro

Yeah, I can't stand the name, and I'm with Adam on all of the renamings. Apple just likes to "shake things up" occasionally :D .

Odlly i think mac pro is better than macbook pro, i think i might like mac pro.

Odlly i think mac pro is better than macbook pro, i think i might like mac pro.

Well it is better than MacBook Pro, as it has less sylables. I don't like Mac Pro, but it is better than their other renamings.

it's not that apple just likes to shake things up. I think it is just that they give thier advertising team lot's of leway, and that they employ artistic and creative people. When you don't make artists commit to something long term they won't. At the time when someone came up with the old naming convention it was great but then when thier was an opportunity for switching things people got to thinking and someone said hey you know what.... Hence the names.