Sign in to follow this  
kensterator

Switch to phpBB3

It's not a stable release, so my personal opinion is no. I would think that Adam feels the same way, but I couldn't say. If it were up to me, I'd get away from phpbb all together, but that's just me.

My personal preference is Invision Board. I have used a lot of products, and IPB has become my favorite. It isn't free, but well worth the license. It is also cheaper than a lot of the other commercially available products. It has a great UI, a great administration panel, as well as features that are useful for moderation. It also has a great community behind it. IPB doesn't suffer from the many security problems that phpbb is known to have issues with. It helps that IPB is actively being developed. New features are coming through MUCH more frequently than phpbb.

Mitch is correct, I don't want to move to pre-release software. We will need to talk more about Invision, but that may be a possibility if there are many benefits and the migration process is not too difficult.

wouldnt we have to start all over again because they are totally different boards?

wouldnt we have to start all over again because they are totally different boards?

Many forum packages know how to import forum structures and messages from other forum packages, by reading the contents of a MySQL database.

Not at all. Most commercial (and free) boards have easy transition tools that move all posts and users over. We wouldn't make a switch if it meant losing all of what we have.

I've seen IPB, and personally I don't like it. I think if Adam decides IPB is an option we should hold a poll.

I've seen IPB, and personally I don't like it. I think if Adam decides IPB is an option we should hold a poll.

Everyone has their opinions. Some like VB some like IPB, and some like phpbb. The reason I brought up IPB Is it is far more powerful for administrators and moderators. It also has a better user interface for all users. Things that are not the easiest to do in phpbb, are quite easy to do in IPB. (like changing themes, searching users, etc.) They all have pros and cons :) I don't know what the status is of a possible switch, that you would need to talk to Adam about.

Everyone has their opinions. Some like VB some like IPB, and some like phpbb. The reason I brought up IPB Is it is far more powerful for administrators and moderators. It also has a better user interface for all users. Things that are not the easiest to do in phpbb, are quite easy to do in IPB. (like changing themes, searching users, etc.) They all have pros and cons :) I don't know what the status is of a possible switch, that you would need to talk to Adam about.

Well as I said, if Adam and you guys (the moderators) decide IPB is a good option, I think we should hold a poll. This is a comunity and I think we should all have a say.

I'm currently a member at an IPB board, and am very happy with it. Out of all the board software, I like it the best.