Sign in to follow this  
tripperharrison

Can't drag a file onto the Finder icon in the dock?

Hi,

Is it possible to drag a file onto the Finder icon in the dock?

It doesn't seem possible, but that doesn't make much since, since once you have the Finder open, it's got the snap-open file navigation. It seems silly that you have to take the mouse and open the Finder first, before using drag and drop for navigation, espeically since most of my other App icons in the dock are drag-and-drop friendly.

Any thoughts?

-_Chris

Dragging a file onto the Finder icon in the ock does nothing, must admit now you have mentioned it, it does make sense.

Of course there is always the option of pressing APPLE+N within the finder as this will open a new window, allowing you use spring folders and drop files where ever you want

Thanks for your reply.

I know, but if you're grabbing an attachment off an e-mail, or some such thing, and would like to place it in a specific folder, it would be nice, in the spirit of drag-and-drop, not to have to first manually open the Finder.

In order to drag a file onto the dock, you need to drag it to the area right next to the trash can.

I meant to be able to drag a file and then place it in a specific folder, through the Finder.

You can drag an image file onto the Photoshop icon in the dock and launch Photoshop, or an MP3 onto the iTunes icon to launch it. I just thought they should have made it so you can do the same with the Finder icon. It would make the drag and drop experience complete, instead of making it somewhat disjointed.

Hi,

Is it possible to drag a file onto the Finder icon in the dock?

It doesn't seem possible, but that doesn't make much since, since once you have the Finder open, it's got the snap-open file navigation. It seems silly that you have to take the mouse and open the Finder first, before using drag and drop for navigation, espeically since most of my other App icons in the dock are drag-and-drop friendly.

Any thoughts?

-_Chris

I have a thought, you can click the Finder icon in the dock, this will bring you to your Home folder. Hope it helps.

You can also click on it while holding the ALT key to navigate between open apps consequently hiding them per click. This last one I have yet to figure out. I guess having all open apps visible, as they are normally, alt clicking seems to do something. Not sure if these are documented anywhere yet.

Does holding the Apple key while clicking the Finder dock icon do anything?

OSX 10.4.6.

Here's the simplest method:

1) Start to drag your item.

2) With the mouse button still down, press Command-Tab to bring up the application switcher.

3) Continue to hold down the mouse button and Command while repeatedly pressing Tab until the Finder is highlighted, then release the Command key to switch to the Finder.

4) Now continue to drag your item wherever you want to.