Sign in to follow this  
tripperharrison

Re-naming a folder in the Save As... Finder navigation

Hi,

I've got another Finder question. Does anyone know if it's possible to rename an existing folder in "Save As..." navigation in the Finder. I'm pretty sure you can do it in Windows XP, but don't seem to be able to do it in OSX.

Thanks,

Chris

yes you can edit the save as file name you doulbe click the file name delete it and type in a new one in the window.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. That doesn't seem to work, though. For example, if I'm saving a file in MS Word, and the Save navigation opens, I don't seem to be able to double-click on an existing file to re-name it.

Does this work on your computer?

Thanks,

Chris

How do you change the picture on a file or folder?

Click once the icon you wish to change, press APPLE+I this will show info on the file. Now do the same on the donor folder.

In the upper left hand corner you will see the icon you wish to copy, click this once and press APPLE+C to copy it. On the original folder you wish to change again click the icon in the top left hand corner, then press APPLE+V to paste over your choice.

I guess its easier to do that explain - sorry

the double clicking method will definitly work. It works, as far as I know, in all versions of OSX. It can sometimes be a pain though. If you miss just slightly, or click to fast or to slow, it will open the file. In fact in my experience if don't cross your toes and do a dance as you click it in just the right place at just the right speed it will open rather than letting you edit the name. Conversly when you want to open the file and are just trying to double click on the file and have it open then all of the sudden it lets you edit the file name no problem. If you want an easier way just click once on the file then press enter. It will not open, as it does on windows, but instead it will allow you to change the file name.

Hi,

I've got another Finder question. Does anyone know if it's possible to rename an existing folder in "Save As..." navigation in the Finder. I'm pretty sure you can do it in Windows XP, but don't seem to be able to do it in OSX.

I think most people here are missing the point of what Chris wants to do. He wants to rename an existing folder from a Save As dialog box. My answer is, yes you can rename an existing folder here, but only if you have Default Folder installed. It allows renaming of files and folders from an Open or Save dialog. There may also be other 3rd party programs that allow you to do this, but I haven't seen any.

How do you change the picture on a file or folder?

Click once the icon you wish to change, press APPLE+I this will show info on the file. Now do the same on the donor folder.

In the upper left hand corner you will see the icon you wish to copy, click this once and press APPLE+C to copy it. On the original folder you wish to change again click the icon in the top left hand corner, then press APPLE+V to paste over your choice.

I guess its easier to do that explain - sorry

Yes, it would be easier to do, because I know it is easy, but I don't know how to do it, and I don't really understand.

Hi,

Thanks,

Chris

You meant FOLDER not FILE correct? I think the person who initially answered confused your question. He read your question incorrectly as he referred to file when you referred to folder.

Unfortunately, following a Save As…, it's not possible to change a folder name; however, you should be able to create a New Folder within the Save As… dialogue box.

hope this helps.