Sign in to follow this  
Robbiet480

RUN WINDOWS ON MAC! STRAIGHT FROM APPLE.COM

Personally I use a Mac to get away from Windows, i really cant see the point, ok it might attract a few new users to Mac however, they will be purchasing the hardware mainly for looks and not the main OS.

Not sure guys, it sorta annoys me.. i personal feel like this is a step in the wrong direction.

I couldn't agree more!

If people must run Windows progs (e.g. for games) why not get a PC - they're cheap and nasty enough!!

there are things that you can do with pcs, tons of apps are still on the pc, so this won't hurt os x because people won't buy an intel mac to run windows xp, they'll buy an intel mac because you can run BOTH

I think it's a good thing. As someone else said, if Apple didn't do it, somebody else would have. I just wish I had known it was coming, since, I broke down last month and bought a cheap heathen box to run some apps I needed. I just got worn out by running an old version of Virtual PC on my G3 iBook.

For those of you who read or heard the Dvorak theory, I think this supports the good parts of his argument about increasing sales without going all the way down the road of abandoning OS X. When this ability is built in (with 10.5), though, I think we'll see Apple actually selling Windows along with OS X.

i don't think they will sell it until 2010 like i said, this won't hurt OS X

and someone did already do it onmac.net won the prize of like 13 grand. too bad that they had to do tons of hard work then apple comes out and makes abother one free to download

For those of you who read or heard the Dvorak theory, I think this supports the good parts of his argument about increasing sales without going all the way down the road of abandoning OS X.  When this ability is built in (with 10.5), though, I think we'll see Apple actually selling Windows along with OS X.

I thought Dvorak's article talked about Apple ditching OS X for some sort of Apple front end on top of Windows.

Interesting idea that Apple could bundle Windows in every Mac as a dual boot.

Personally I believe a lot Windows users would switch to OS X if it was easy for them to give it a try.

God bless those of you who actually want to use Windows. Personally, if it can't run on Linux or Mac, then I'm not interested. Companies that design software to run on only Windows are shooting themselves in the foot and while Apple may be willing to gently pull their finger away from the trigger, I'm not. FYI, I work in a mostly Windows environment with custom applications that can only run on Windows. To me there is nothing more tragic then writing software exclusively for the "For Festiva" of operating systems. I spend most of my day writing code and graphics for BOTH systems. I may very well buy an Intel Mac, but not to run Windows.

- MT

For those of you concerned that software vendors will no longer write software for Mac, I think your concern is unfounded. As a software developer, I can say with confidence that market share is what drives our development priorities. If Apple had a larger market share, I can guarantee that more software developers would target the Mac.

I know some think that developers will just target Windows because they assume both Mac and PC users will purchase that software. There's one small catch to that theory: In order for your average user to install Windows on their Mac, they need to go out and buy Windows at their local retailer. I just did a quick check online for prices and saw Windows XP home edition (full version) listed at $199. How many people do you think are going to spend the additional money to buy the Windows OS for running on their Mac?

All in all, I think this will be a net gain for Apple. There are a lot of people who would love to try Apple but are afraid to give up that one special app that they can only get on Windows. This will give them an option, even if it might be an expensive option. You may not get a ton of new users, but you will get some who are comforted by this option being available.

Some software makers may back off their Mac support, but they will be the exception not the rule. Those companies who typically supported Mac will continue to do so. If this move increases Mac market share, then you will probably see a net increase in vendor support for Mac.

Keep in mind also that many people who want to try the switch have been driven by the continuous virus/spyware problem on Windows. It's not likely that they'll make the move and then spend extra money on Windows so that they can have all those problems on their Mac. The bootcamp option will remain an alternative for solving specific problems for potential users. It will never be a mainstream solution that will seriously affect vendor support.

- Tim

I don't think that this will hurt Apple in the least; in fact, I totally agree that this will help Apple. My only point is that Microsoft, much like AOL, is a company that I don't hold in high regard (or in AOL's case, barely in low regard) and I really don't see myself praising its presence in the Apple world. If this move means a 20% market share gain for Apple, then so much the better.

- MT

This is actually really cool. And not because it's XP on a mac, that's been done already. It's the ease of use and completeness of the tools apple has given out to do this which I greatly appreciate. Bootcamp will resize your OSX partition so you don' ]t need to format OSX to install windows. And will restore your partition to full size if you don't want to keep windows. It also comes with a driver CD you burn with the video drivers (which were lacking until now) plus bluetooth, airport and most of the hardware, aside from the IR remote, backlight keyboard and isight. Thanks to apple there is a solution to run XP on macs that is useful to far more people than the hacker project that was going on.

Also something else that's interesting is that the whining problem that macbook's have been having doesn't occur on XP, so hopefully that makes a software patch seem like a more likely fix.

I don't think that this will hurt Apple in the least; in fact, I totally agree that this will help Apple.  

- MT

I share that sentiment. I firmly believe that Apple will sell more hardware from this move. My comments concerning software development are well founded though. I agree that the price to purchase Windows is going to deter many. The question becomes whether or not this increase in "hardware" is going to sway development houses to develop for OS X when they can continue doing what they are doing. They are out nothing if they do nothing. Assuming that an increase in hardware is going to drive software development for an Operating System that people may or may not be running is a long shot assumption IMHO. "If you want my product buy Windows". In any case this was coming sooner or later given the talk of virtualization within the OS. Running Windows binaries in Mac OS would cause the same problem.

As I said I'm a recent switcher and love MacOS. Perhaps that is my concern. :-)

I think that the most hurt will be the sale of Vista because most people who are on the fence will go out and buy an Intel Mac and a copy of XP (service pack 2) instead. Then again, being the box full of crap that Vista is, I don't think it would have taken much.

As for corporate America, the move will be made to Linux, NOT Vista or Mac because Linux is opensource which spells out FREE to the accounting department.

- MT

Now macs aren't safe from viruses anymore. :P

My comments concerning software development are well founded though.  I agree that the price to purchase Windows is going to deter many.  The question becomes whether or not this increase in "hardware" is going to sway development houses to develop for OS X when they can continue doing what they are doing.

Development houses are, on average, swayed by their bottom line. Will there be enough new OS X'ers out there to warrant spending the money on developing a Mac version. If a large percentage of new Mac switchers decided to by Windows XP as well, then it probably wouldn't make sense. However, I believe that the vast majority of switchers will not want to spend the money on XP in addition to their new Mac cost. In that case, then there may be significant upside to developing OS X versions.

They are out nothing if they do nothing.  Assuming that an increase in hardware is going to drive software development for an Operating System that people may or may not be running is a long shot assumption IMHO.  "If you want my product buy Windows".

They are out significantly if you account for lost "opportunity cost", and most business live and die by understanding the impact of opportunity cost. If there's even a slight uptick in market share for Mac's, there's a whole lot of actual customers lost from your existing target audience (Windows) and a whole lot of potential customers list from the OS X audience. It would take a lot of switchers paying money for Windows XP (or Vista, for that matter) to have this be a net drain on OS X development effort.

As I said I'm a recent switcher and love MacOS.  Perhaps that is my concern.  :-)

Welcome to the world of Mac, and I think you'll have so many pleasant experiences that your concerns will quickly fade away :D

Now macs aren't safe from viruses anymore.   :P

I am curious about how true this is. The Mac hardware may no longer be safe, but most (if not all) of the viruses out there take advantage of OS-specific vulnerabilities. I really wonder how much damage a virus obtained while running Windows on a Mac could do to the OS X side of the machine.

Windows XP will not be able to read the OS X file system as far as I know, so it won't have direct access to the OS X disk partition. I'm sure there's some exploit that people could figure out, but seems like it would be hard to get past that partition boundary.

Am I deluding myself?

- Tim

With all the positive things that are coming out with this bootcamp.

No one is stopping to think all the reasons they shouldn't.

it's going to open up a big can of worms.

No only intel machines

With all the positive things that are coming out with this bootcamp.  

No one is stopping to think all the reasons they shouldn't.

it's going to open up a big can of worms.

I'm glad I don't feel like the only one who feels this way.

- MT

I just have a really bad feeling about it.

It will be interesting to see the ratio of people using Bootcamp versus people that don't and like their macs the way it already is and was meant to be! :D

If people must run Windows progs (e.g. for games) why not get a PC - they're cheap and nasty enough!!

I disagree. I LIKE the possibility of being able to have One Box to Rule Them All. I'd rather pay for one computer and be able to do everything on it than to pay for two computers to do everything I want.

After all, what's a computer without Morrowind and Oblivion? :D My cheap Dell Box takes up space, looks ugly, and it just gets in the way.

MacBook Pro as the ULTIMATE GAMING MACHINE? Yeah, baby! :D I'd free up so much space on my desk for a second monitor if I ever wanted a big one. :D

Let me reiterate my sentiments:

This software is for Mac OS users who are running boot camp NOT WinXP users running boot camp.

In other words, if you want an expensive WinXP machine, buy an Ailenware, not a Mac. Boot camp is a convenience, not an alternative.

- MT

Good for hardware sales.

Good for OSX Exposure

Bad for game Mac developers

Let me reiterate my sentiments:

This software is for Mac OS users who are running boot camp NOT WinXP users running boot camp.

In other words, if you want an expensive WinXP machine, buy an Ailenware, not a Mac.  Boot camp is a convenience, not an alternative.

- MT

Seems you're being a little prescriptive.

IMHO buying a Mac and not running OS X would be strange, if not downright weird. However, people buy Mac's for many purposes and you can't presume to tell them what they can and cannot do.

I don't agree with the "one box fits all" idea when it comes to DVR solutions, but using a Mac as a gaming machine via XP is very attractive (although it wouldn't make sense if that's all you use the Mac for).

The ability to run XP, Linux and OS X makes a great value proposition, one that Dell and HP etc. simply don't have.

OS X isn't the "senior" OS on a Intel Mac, it just happens to be the one that is unique to a Mac.

Well everyone has their opinions on if bootcamp is good or not.