Sign in to follow this  
Mabsey

Should I Wait for Merom?

I don't currently have a Mac laptop and hate having to share my wife's really heavy HP laptop.

I have read that the new Intel processor, codenamed "Merom" will be out either Q3 or Q4 this year as a prelude to the 2007 Santa Rosa technology. I have a few questions that I'm hoping the experts out there can help answer:

1) Does the expected performance of Merom (and reduction in heat!) warrant me waiting for it to replace the current Intel Core Duo?

2) I have read that it should be possible to replace the Core Duo with the Merom processor (if using the Napa Refresh platform). Are the current MacBook Pros capable of having their processors changed?

3) Would the expense of swapping processors outweigh any benefits in performance?

I would wait. The merom will kick yona's ass!

Mac laptops are very hard to get into anyway... and then the motherboard might not work with the new processor, and it may not perform as fast because it was designed for a Core Duo and not a newer chip, even if it did fit.

I say wait for a whole new system to be designed with the new chip in it.

Is Merom going to be used in the intel powermacs (or mac mac)? i heard it is quad core, is it true?

Is Merom going to be used in the intel powermacs (or mac mac)? i heard it is quad core, is it true?

Conroe will be used in the MacMacs. Not merom. Apple knowes better than to put a laptop chip in their top desktop.

Conroe will be used in the MacMacs. Not merom. Apple knowes better than to put a laptop chip in their top desktop.

oh, laptop chip... i heard rumor there was already a quad core chip going in the macmac

oh, laptop chip... i heard rumor there was already a quad core chip going in the macmac

That would be the conroe. Which might have a quad core. BTW I love that name, MacMac.

Weel Apple is puting Mac in all their mac computers and taking out power hence Macmac was conceived.

P.S. Macmac=intel PowerMac.

but if there were a totalof 8 processor cores wouldn't the thing explode? it would be kinda funny though. "look ma, photoshop, BOOOOM!"

Yes..you should wait.

And when Merom is out...wait again because something better is coming along and Merom will SUXORS. And something will be better than that...and better than that...you get it right?

If you absolutely need a laptop: get one. If you can make due with what you have right now, then by all means hold off. It's all about NEED. If you're running something that is so painfully slow then I think you should upgrade. There's always going to be a faster processor out...something will always trump what you have. The Core Duos are FAAAAAAAST compared to my 1ghz iBook. Yeah, merom is supposed to be 20% faster, but battery life should remain the same according to Intel. I'm not too concerned about it.

Anything that can turn on and has a source of power is born to be obsolete.

Yes..you should wait.

And when Merom is out...wait again because something better is coming along and Merom will SUXORS. And something will be better than that...and better than that...you get it right?

If you absolutely need a laptop: get one.  If you can make due with what you have right now, then by all means hold off.  It's all about NEED.  If you're running something that is so painfully slow then I think you should upgrade.  There's always going to be a faster processor out...something will always trump what you have.  The Core Duos are FAAAAAAAST compared to my 1ghz iBook.  Yeah, merom is supposed to be 20% faster, but battery life should remain the same according to Intel.  I'm not too concerned about it.

Rstroud is completely right, base your desision on if you need a new machine. There will always be something better, and the second you step out of the Apple Store your computer is obsolete. You just have to decide whether you need a new computer. Like rstroud said, if you're computer is so painfully slow you can't use it, get a new one. If your current computer is sufficient, wait for something better.

I'm going to wait for the Conroe(I meant Merom) chips. I see the current MacbookPro being a filler to the laptop line. Warningl; This is based on nothing just my gut feeling.

real

I'm going to wait for the Conroe chips. I see the current MacbookPro being a filler to the laptop line. Warningl; This is based on nothing just my gut feeling.

real

Um...Conroe is a desktop chip. Apple is not Dell and won't use a desktop chip in a Macbook Pro. Why? It's two fold:

1. Heat- You think they're hot now? Try squeezing a desktop chip and cooling in a MacBook.

2. Power Consumption- Conroe is expected to consume 65W of power while the current Core Duos consume less than 25W. Don't like a 3 hour battery life? I'm sure you'll love half an hour or less.

So I hate to be like this, but...you're wrong. There is NO WAY Apple will do this. I will eat my left kidney if this happens.

I'm going to wait for the Conroe chips. I see the current MacbookPro being a filler to the laptop line. Warningl; This is based on nothing just my gut feeling.

real

Um...Conroe is a desktop chip. Apple is not Dell and won't use a desktop chip in a Macbook Pro. Why? It's two fold:

1. Heat- You think they're hot now? Try squeezing a desktop chip and cooling in a MacBook.

2. Power Consumption- Conroe is expected to consume 65W of power while the current Core Duos consume less than 25W. Don't like a 3 hour battery life? I'm sure you'll love half an hour or less.

So I hate to be like this, but...you're wrong. There is NO WAY Apple will do this. I will eat my left kidney if this happens.

Yeah My bad I mean Merom. Gezz This was a whole lot easier when it was G3, G4, G5

thanks for the correction, I'd hate to have you eat your left kidney as well.

real

Anything that can turn on and has a source of power is born to be obsolete.

Heh, I think Etch-A-Sketches can also become obselete...

Anything that is produced is born to be obselete.

Yeah My bad I mean Merom. Gezz This was a whole lot easier when it was G3, G4, G5

real

Yeah, these are just codenames, but it can get overwhelming to say the least. Throw AMD's offerings in there and there's a lot to memorize. Not only that, but the technologies behind it...whew.

No problem...it can be daunting.

Unless...

You are going to be using processor intensive apps like Photoshop or a professional sound or video editing program. If you are going to be using normal stuff, such as Safari and mail, there is no reason to wait. But then if you plan on doing double OSes, then wait.

real

Yeah, these are just codenames, but it can get overwhelming to say the least. Throw AMD's offerings in there and there's a lot to memorize. Not only that, but the technologies behind it...whew.

No problem...it can be daunting.

But at the same time its very exciting.