Sign in to follow this  
joshr

Laptop Working Space

Now that I have a laptop to work on I like to work in bed a lot. The only way to really accomplish this, if I ever want to have kids, is to put my macbookpro partially offset on an art history book. Plus I often really want my mouse rather than the trackpad which means another book. So what I am looking for is a good solution for working in bed. Something that is as small as possible but keeps the notebook off my lap and has just enough room for a mouse. Any suggestions?

A custom cut piece of shelving or plywood??? (You know you could make it REALLY cool then!) :wink:

I always found that the mouse works really well on the bed. And the laptop on a book. It's pretty comfy.

Fold a blanket over a few times on your lap to protect you from the heat, and use a clipboard (not one of those new clear or translucent plastic ones, an old wood one) as a mousepad/platform.

My wife uses this thing that looks like a piece of wood with a small beanbag on the bottom. I think it is called a lap desk. Which looks a bit like

Deluxe_Lap_Desk.jpg

The problem I see with using a blankey is that it can cover the vents on the back of the noetbook.

I just found this thing that looks weird but comfortable.

111254_zm.jpg

The bottom picture is awesome! breakfast and email in bed.

Fold a blanket over a few times on your lap to protect you from the heat, and use a clipboard (not one of those new clear or translucent plastic ones, an old wood one) as a mousepad/platform.

Blankets are a terrible idea unless you want to cook your laptop. Not only do they sometimes block air vents as someone else suggested but they insulate the computer and you will find that it is much hotter after being on a blanket for a while. If you want to do a free solution and big thick hard cover book works decently. Thats why I am currently using an art history book. I was just looking for a better solution and I think that the beanbag thing or the targus piece might work. Thanks jorellh, those both look like good suggestions.

I didn't mean a think comforter type blanket, just a thin polarfleece sheet. It would be like wearing insulated pants, but would not fold or bulge around the air vents. I have done this (alright, it was in a car, which allowed my legs to hang off the edge of the seat, not sure how much it matters) and it worked fine.