Sign in to follow this  
RobinTibbs

iPod Windows -> iPod Mac

Simple question i think :) well hope

I'm holding out for the intel iBooks, but have a question. I have a windows laptop at the moment and an iPod i use with windows itunes.

When i get an iBook, will i have to:

1) Just plug my iPod in and it will work

2) reformat my ipod and copy my music from my external hard drive to my mac

3) or soemthing else?

thanks in advance :)

Well it depends. Do you manually copy music over to your iPod or does iTunes automatically sync your new music with your iPod? If you automatically sync, then you'll have to wipe your iPod and copy your music into iTunes on your Mac. If you drag and drop your music to your iPod, you can just plug it into the iBook and it will work (this is why we love Apple). Also, if you're automatically syncing with iTunes on your Windows laptop, you can change the setting to manual copying there before you move the iPod. Then you can wipe the iPod, and after that you can move all your music off your Windows machine onto your iPod. Then you can plug the iPod into your Mac and copy everything over, and then finally you can wipe it again on your iBook and set it to automatically sync with your iBook instead. Hope you could understand that hehe :D .

i auto copy :) what you said kinda makes sense ^_^ think i'll just wipe my ipod, plu my external HDD into my iBook, and let it do its thing :)

PS hurry up intel ibook >.<

i auto copy :) what you said kinda makes sense ^_^ think i'll just wipe my ipod, plu my external HDD into my iBook, and let it do its thing :)

Alright, sounds good to me. I go a little bit ubergeeky when I get into this kind of thing :D .

i don't think you have to worry about automatic updating because when i do it it just pops up a box and says do you want to replace the library of the ipod with the one on this computer? and you can click no and change it to manual in preferences

but the way you can get the songs off the ipod is

on windows

go to the ipod's root drive in my computer

click tools>folder options>view>SHOW HIDDEN FILES

click ok and you will see the folder iPod_Control which is hidded

right click it and click properties

uncheck hidded

disconnect

plug into mac

in itunes go to preferences and under advanced check copy files to itunes music folder when adding

click file add folder

navigate to the Music folder on the ipod in ipodcontrol

add the folder

it should copy the files onto your mac

but i haven't tried it but in theory it should work

and you can copy the itunes music file from your old computer to your new one and replace the new file and you should have all the plau counts and playlists

you can use your windows formatted iPod on your mac, but copying etc will be quicker if when you reformat it as a Mac iPod. There was a notable difference when I did this to mine.

you can use your windows formatted iPod on your mac, but copying etc will be quicker if when you reformat it as a Mac iPod. There was a notable difference when I did this to mine.

Yes, I noticed syncing using HFS+ was noticeably faster.

Using FAT32, iTunes often beachballed, so not only was it slower, I found that iTunes couldn't be used until syncing had been completed.

However, the FAT32 format is quite useful if you use your iPod to transfer files between OS X and Windows machines.