Sign in to follow this  
isaiah1112

A Hard One

Ok... I am looking for a piece of FREE software that not only allows a user to open an Excel file but will also preserve any Macros written in VB! (Basically a free version of Microsoft Excel). I have tried Open Office and it works but does not have a translator for VB so all Macros are removed from the file. I know that Microsoft has free versions of Word and Excel that are only readers but I cannot find something like this for the Mac!

Any ideas? I have done some searching but haven't found much!

Ok... I am looking for a piece of FREE software that not only allows a user to open an Excel file but will also preserve any Macros written in VB! (Basically a free version of Microsoft Excel). I have tried Open Office and it works but does not have a translator for VB so all Macros are removed from the file.  I know that Microsoft has free versions of Word and Excel that are only readers but I cannot find something like this for the Mac!

Any ideas? I have done some searching but haven't found much!

How about NeoOffice?

Tried that... no show.

The problem with Neo Office is that it is Open Office with the carbonized environment. Thanks for the quick response though.

it has a translator for .xls files, but I'm not sure about the Macro. It should be preinstalled in the /Applications/AppleWorks (US English) directory.

it has a translator for .xls files, but I'm not sure about the Macro. It should be preinstalled in the /Applications/AppleWorks (US English) directory.

I have tried Appleworks. It does indeed translate the .xls file; however, it moves all worksheets into one page and it also doesn't keep the macros!

can you even run visual basic on a powerpc? or maybe it's not the processor but the unix OS core. I was under the impression that visual basic only worked in a windows environment.

can you even run visual basic on a powerpc? or maybe it's not the processor but the unix OS core.  I was under the impression that visual basic only worked in a windows environment.

You cannot run Visual Basic under OS X; however, VisualBasic macros CAN be run under Excel in Microsoft Office. There is something that Microsoft has done with the way macros are written that allows that code to be ported from one OS to the other.