Sign in to follow this  
avichsc

Entourage 2004 vs. Mail, iCal, etc.

I have heard a lot of good things about both the integrated Mac PIM tools and Entourage 2004 for Mac. Which do you think are better in general and why?

Well personally I think Apple's integrated PIM tools are a lot better. First of all, I've used Entourage and I definitely think the interface is nothing compared to Mail, iCal, and Address Book. You just can't figure out what's going on in Entourage, but with Apple's PIMs the interface is so elegant, you just know what to do. Second, you get all the Apple PIMs out of the box when you buy a Mac, where as with Entourage you have to pay quite a hefty price. Third, and this is the one that all Mac Geeks have to use, it's from Microsoft; and Microsoft applications are so bloated and convoluted that one minute you think it's working and the next all your data is gone. Some people think otherwise, and I'm fine with that, but my personal opinion is that Apple does it best.

well i've been using entourage for some time now. i'm just used to the Micro$oft ways.. i see entourage as different then the PC verion of office 2003, so in my mind its like i'm not using a PC..its like im on a mac.

offtopic but what about thunderbird?

I use entourage too! Love it!

Entourage for me is nice because everything is in one application unlike Mail, Address Book, and iCal. Plus the project manager, notes, and tasks sections make organizing "stuff" so much easier.

However, I do not like the interface for Entourage... it is too busy. Mail is clean and fast... so is Address Book and iCal.

Entourage cannot sync my contacts and calendars to my iPod - BIG PROBLEM! however a script can be written to move calendars and contacts into Address Book and iCal without a problem so I wont complain.

Oh, and Entourage does not allow Spotlight access to its messages... another annoying issue!

If I were to just simply rate Entourage on a scale of 1 to 5 I would have to give it a 2. Very nice ideas and great program... just not as good as Apple has done with integration into the system and quick interfaces that iCal, Address Book, and Mail all have!

Oh, and Entourage does not allow Spotlight access to its messages... another annoying issue!

Not true anymore.... Per Microsoft's website:

Spotlight Integration

Now you can take full advantage of the Spotlight search functionality in Mac OS X Tiger with the help of Office Update 11.2.3.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/offi...highlights.aspx

yes it does now. Have you checked since the 10.4.6 update?

Cool! Didn't realize that!! Thanks for the info stevewhodrums

I have heard a lot of good things about both the integrated Mac PIM tools and Entourage 2004 for Mac. Which do you think are better in general and why?

Some additional comments that you may want to consider:

All in all, I've decided that using the Apple suite is a better solution for me personally, and I just live with the limitations in syncing iCal to an exchange server. My wife, on the other hand, has decided to use Entourage because she doesn't do any kind of syncing with cell phones or PDA's.

- Tim