Sign in to follow this  
charmingbob

Response to some of Adams comments from the April 9th Show

Hi Adam

First off I just want to say I really enjoy your Podcast and usually agree with most of your views. I would like to respond to your comments on why you don't think Adobe would ever drop development for OSX now that Intel Mac can run windows.

I personally think the possibility of Adobe of dropping support for the Mac is a real. This may be a bad example, but remember when Adobe dropped development of Premiere a few years ago? I believe the official reason was due to the low number of sales for the Mac version.

I couldn't find any numbers on what percentage of Adobe's sales are Windows vs Mac, however it wouldn't surprise me if Windows applications made up to 75% of their sales. Also, this isn’t scientific, but I do know of a few design studios here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada that switched from Mac to PC a few years ago. I even have a few designer friends who recently needed a new machine and went with Dell due to the lower cost of the hardware. Also, the last time I went to an Adobe seminar the presenters asked how many Windows and Mac users where in the audience, the majority of people who raised their hands where Windows users.

Anyway, I guess the point I’m trying to make is that in my world (again, not very scientific) that the trend seems to be moving towards more designers moving to Windows. Since we live in a time where the CEO's bonuses are based on the bottom line, I don't think it's that much of a stretch to see Adobe drop Mac development for future releases of some of their less popular products. It probably won't be anything like Photoshop or InDesign, but I could see a day when programs like Dreamweaver and Flash are Windows only.

Well the my $.02, keep up the great work with the Podcast!

Interesting insight and backed by some very solid facts. The only I really would want to add is, I personally feel Adobe dropped Mac support for Premeire because Apple released FinalCut. Mac users were quickly abandoning Premiere for what was/is arguably a vastly superior video editing app on the Mac.

And, based on Adam's comments this week about Aperature, it appears Apple is reciprocating and letting the pro photographers go with Lightroom.