Sign in to follow this  
maxman

What Should I Buy

Wait for the macbook; you cant get a powerbook for $1,000 unless on ebay. macbook pro is same price as powerbook. the polycarbonate macbook should be cheaper, and if you do not need something from the pro market, dont get it. the powerbook will get more obselete by the day. People say that apps arent made for intel, but they will be! You can get one now, run in rosetta and when the apps are out, you will be ahead of the clock! you can look at the powerbook guys and say "Im faster nanananana" "Im going to zoom right by" Many people are not getting intel now but they have to realize for any speed in the future, they will need intel. eventually, you will need to buy intel whether it is now or in 5 years you will have to buy intel. why not buy now and be ahead of the revoloution?

Man, that was a hard Question. Everybody is fighting on such a small answer.(or Big one :D )

Look above your post. He got a PowerBook.

why in the world would he do that? wasnt everyone telling him to get a macbook? and when you can get a macbook for $1600.? I think he is lagging now. I should get a macbook pro and say "im going to zoom right by." pro apps may have trouble in future.overall sounds like a bad decision if he wants to run final cut pro 6 or 7 in the future. He wont because his powerbook will lag too much. boo hoo. back to iMovie for him (oh wait he cant install the new version of that, either)

why in the world would he do that? wasnt everyone telling him to get a macbook? and when you can get a macbook for $1600.? I think he is lagging now. I should get a macbook pro and say "im going to zoom right by." pro apps may have trouble in future.overall sounds like a bad decision if he wants to run final cut pro 6 or 7 in the future. He wont because his powerbook will lag too much. boo hoo. back to iMovie for him (oh wait he cant install the new version of that, either)

What new version of iMovie? Also if you look at his earlier posts, the PowerBook was smart.

the future iMovie.

How could a powerbook purchase be smart? He wants to run future apps in the future but has no large applications that require a powerpc processor, so an intel would e smarter. He is the Perfect Canidate for intel.He is more perfect than some other people. how is a powerbook smart?

the future iMovie.

How could a powerbook purchase be smart? He wants to run future apps in the future but has no large applications that require a powerpc processor, so an intel would e smarter. He is the Perfect Canidate for intel.He is more perfect than some other people. how is a powerbook smart?

I'm positive the next version of iMovie will support the G4. Possibly the next one. The 1.67 is no slouch. The PPC will continue to be supported for years to come through Universal Binaries. It would be STUPID for Apple to alienate 90% (or more) of their userbase by making apps G5 or Intel only. it's WAY too early to do that.

I'm positive the next version of iMovie will support the G4. Possibly the next one. The 1.67 is no slouch. The PPC will continue to be supported for years to come through Universal Binaries. It would be STUPID for Apple to alienate 90% (or more) of their userbase by making apps G5 or Intel only. it's WAY too early to do that.

I couldn't agree more. Steve Jobs said it would be a 2 year transition. The first year has been hardware, the second year will be laggard software and maybe a surprise or two. I am sure Universal Binaries will be around for 4-5 years though.

but will they have any speed? OS X May work on a Powermac G3 350 but will it work like an iMac G5 (or even G4)? Yes and No. It will work, but will be sloooow on the G3 when compared to the imacs. And the G3 cannot run final cut pro because of speed. the iMac G4 wont either. yet the iMac G4 is around 2 years old. Their processor was a speed demon in its time. Apps will be threaded for dual core. If it goes as is, there will be no pro apps running on that powerbook in the future. It may be a long transition, but I doubt the future pro apps will run because of speed requirements. Therein the 1.67 is a slouch in the future with Dual core technology at its heels. Even now Dual core technology threatens it. "im going to Zoom right by"

but will they have any speed? OS X May work on a Powermac G3 350 but will it work like an iMac G5 (or even G4)? Yes and No. It will work, but will be sloooow on the G3 when compared to the imacs. And the G3 cannot run final cut pro because of speed. the iMac G4 wont either. yet the iMac G4 is around 2 years old. Their processor was a speed demon in its time. Apps will be threaded for dual core. If it goes as is, there will be no pro apps running on that powerbook in the future. It may be a long transition, but I doubt the future pro apps will run because of speed requirements. Therein the 1.67 is a slouch in the future with Dual core technology at its heels. Even now Dual core technology threatens it. "im going to Zoom right by"

It's not like it's that old. Your doomsday scenario just doesn't cut it. Yes, it will be speedy, but not in a few years. Nor will my MBP. You're comparison needs work. If he was buying a TiBook I would be worried. But this is a relatively new computer and again, Apple just isn't going to leave people behind. Just because the Core Duo is all the rage doesn't mean the G4 is all of the sudden out. Think about it. I would say around 5-10% MAX of current Mac users use Intel Processors. You're talking about alienating the vast majority of your userbase by upping the requirements. Walk into a production house what do you see? G4 towers. Publishing companies? G4s. They'll be around for a while. You're ignoring the pro business which doesn't upgrade every five minutes like we do. Heck, my college was using B&W G3s for the school newspaper and publications center until a year ago. They upgraded to dual g5s, but seriously, they were still using OS9. Sure the 1.67 will be slow....but comparing it to a G3/350? That's absurd. The logic doesn't fit.

Look at the iMac G4 and you will get the point. he expects to be able to run pro apps in the future. Final Cut pro 4.5 requires 1 GHZ or higher. Arent G4 imacs about 2 years old and 7-800 MHZ? Cant run pro apps. Same with powerbook. It will be outdated and you wont be able to run pro apps in future.

Look at the iMac G4 and you will get the point. he expects to be able to run pro apps in the future. Final Cut pro 4.5 requires 1 GHZ or higher. Arent G4 imacs about 2 years old and 7-800 MHZ? Cant run pro apps. Same with powerbook. It will be outdated and you wont be able to run pro apps in future.

Wrong. They're 3-4 years old. The 700 & 800 came out in 1/02.

http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/index.shtml

I just checked the FCS requirements and

Macintosh computer with 867MHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, or Intel Core Duo processor; HD features require 1GHz or faster single or dual processors (authoring HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor)

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...nplm=MA285Z%2FA

So really, the MacMini Intel can't even run it. So three years isn't bad, it's an average replacement cycle. But still, FCP 4's requirements were only a 500mhz processor or 667 with a PowerBook.

http://www.macworld.com/2003/09/reviews/finalcutpro4/

You're completely missing the point. You don't have to upgrade to every new version Apple has out. If FCS 5 works for you, then great! Who says you have to spend money every five seconds when software comes out. That's why some people are still using Photosshop under classic. Once again, businesses aren't going to run out and buy the latest version all the time. Hurts their bottom line.

Once again people...research, research, research...

I have the PDF and it says you need 1 GHZ processor or bigger. Also, an iMac G4 that could run a current version of final cut pro was started to be made in 9 2003. Around 2 years ago when you would usually get it. you are usually not going to get one the same day they are announced. your website says 800's started being made in 2/03. the 1 GHZ started in 03.

I have the PDF and it says you need 1 GHZ processor or bigger. Also, an iMac G4 that could run a current version of final cut pro was started to be made in 9 2003. Around 2 years ago when you would usually get it. you are usually not going to get one the same day they are announced. your website says 800's started being made in 2/03. the 1 GHZ started in 03.

Okay..two and a half years...so what's your point? You've completely ignored my other ones.

As for the PDF, I know that if you want to do HD, you need a 1ghz processor. I got that straight from the Apple FCS site, so either they're lying, or someone made a typo somewhere. (BTW..helps to say what PDF you're talking about).

If you're going to argue this till you're blue in the face, then at least address my other points. This one is trite and very minor in comparison.

BTW: Requirements are the same as I posted elsewhere:

http://www.mbsdirect.com/finalcutstudio/

http://guides.macrumors.com/Final_Cut_Studio

http://dv411.com/fcstudio.html

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail...pno~7029939.asp

http://www.powermax.com/catalog.php?p=G26523

Yes, I get it...you can't run it on an iMac G4...but what about all those PowerMacs out there? Most people running FinalCut are running towers anyway. Not all, but most. And if he's dabbling, maybe he'll buy a new tower to go along with the PowerBook. Anyway, he bought it and we're beating a dead horse. Are you arguing just because you want to be right?

I just think that if he plans on running final cut and pro apps, he cannot rely on a powerbook to run his future. in 2 years that powerbook will be And may be too obselete to run pro apps so he will not be able to do as projected with the powerbook. that is the main point. Im using the statistics of an iMac G4 to note that in 2 years he cannot expect to run the most recent pro apps.

I couldn't agree more. Steve Jobs said it would be a 2 year transition. The first year has been hardware, the second year will be laggard software and maybe a surprise or two. I am sure Universal Binaries will be around for 4-5 years though.

I a, also trying to note mats post with universal Binaries. They may have a need for an intel core Quattro and cannot run on the old powerbook. Just because it can run on a ppc and intel processor, doesnt mean it CAN Run. It may need that speed. The next versions of iLife could require a powerpc G15 or an intel core Quattro. The speedy powerbook may not be so speedy anymore.

Do you really think Steve Jobs will come out and sya "F U to the powerPC Mac owners"? No, they made him money and for the record an Apple machine in Apple care cannot be supported if it is older than 6 years. Just because some of the Apps you mention need a 1 GHZ proc or better there will always be the PowerPC requirements and intel requirements, Apple knows that 1GHZ to 2.0 GHZ will always be there for PowerPC because in the pro apps there will be code for powerpc to function at their speeds and code in their for the intels to run at their speed. And havn't you heard "Technology was born to be obselete."

I a, also trying to note mats post with universal Binaries. They may have a need for an intel core Quattro and cannot run on the old powerbook. Just because it can run on a ppc and intel processor, doesnt mean it CAN Run. It may need that speed. The next versions of iLife could require a powerpc G15 or an intel core Quattro. The speedy powerbook may not be so speedy anymore.

You're totally pulling this from your bum. Do you not understand economics? They WILL NOT alienate the vast majority of their userbase. Why can't you see this? You're just being difficult and making stuff up.

What am I making up? I am giving statistics and you are making random comments (like that) to alienate my facts. I just think that the intel laptops are geared for the future. I am also comparing how apple is growing in technology, and will not have ppc products by the end of 2006, and these older ppc products could be quite slooooooow when compared with the future intel products. That seems quite true when you look at it, and makes perfect sense when you look at it. we will have faster, better, bigger processing power, and apps that need that power.

I also want to remark the statement that final cut is used by people with a tower but I am referring to this powerbook and future versions of pro apps. They will require mucch more processingh towers, I want to note that Max plans on using a FUTURE VERSION OF PRO APPS. on this "Laptop." Towers and pros have nothing to do with this.

You seem to hate my opinions and statistics. You seem to hate everything I say. Maybe I should say I love apple products so you can object and disagree with it?

What am I making up? I am giving statistics and you are making random comments (like that) to alienate my facts. I just think that the intel laptops are geared for the future. I am also comparing how apple is growing in technology, and will not have ppc products by the end of 2006, and these older ppc products could be quite slooooooow when compared with the future intel products. That seems quite true when you look at it, and makes perfect sense when you look at it. we will have faster, better, bigger processing power, and apps that need that power.

I also want to remark the statement that final cut is used by people with a tower but I am referring to this powerbook and future versions of pro apps. They will require mucch more processingh towers, I want to note that Max plans on using a FUTURE VERSION OF PRO APPS. on this "Laptop." Towers and pros have nothing to do with this.

You seem to hate my opinions and statistics. You seem to hate everything I say. Maybe I should say I love apple products so you can object and disagree with it?

What facts? You're throwing out things like the "Core Quattro" and the next version of iMovie? Where did you get the specs for these? The point is, you aren't taking in to account the fact that a. he already made the purchase and b. once again, apple isn't going to suddenly say "too bad, so sad" to all of our ppc folk. Yes, I do agree (as a MBP owner) that Intel is the future. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, nor do I hate you in any way. But you talk facts and statistics, but show nothing to back them up. I don't disagree with you on most things, but you're way off base thinking Apple is suddenly going to obsolete the G4 in the next version of software. I'm sorry if my attitude has been condescending or rude, that's not my intention. I just am merely pointing out that Apple would lose a LOT of business if they made everything Intel only. The truth is, we both don't know what will happen. So let's get back to enjoying our Macs and please forgive me for being so argumentative.

I am not saying next version of software, but future versions (apple releaases one each year.)

I will forgive :)

I am not saying next version of software, but future versions (apple releaases one each year.)

I will forgive :)

Thanks for being gracious. I'll stop being a jerk now! :P