jayme larson

My first mac

MY FIRST MAC AWSOME I pick up my first mac on friday the 15th at the apple store in the Mall Of America. I am so freekin happy with it. I got the 17 inch imac 1.83ghz dual core with 160 g.b. hard drive 1.5 gigs of ram and also purchased apple care. It was so east to set up i could not believe it. love the dock and widgets all the cool apps. it blow my pc away. And it is so beautiful. i also but a external hard drive enclosure and anthor 250 gig drive as well as a griffin power know. To go with my 5th gen ipod. Oh i almost forgot frontrow rules. Anyway cant wait to learn more be seeing everyone in the forums.

I always wait until I have filled at least half of my hard disk, before buying a second one - 410 gb is a hell of a lot of storage.

Congrats on the new Mac!! You've already figured out much of why we love 'em. They simply work. Keep in mind that when you run into difficulty, don't try to figure out what a computer geek would do to fix it, think about what makes sense. That's probably the biggest difference between Macs and other OS's. People who make the switch usually get stuck because they are trying to solve problems in difficult ways. No more need for that!! :)

Congrats! My sister switched last weekend when she got my iBook. She loves the darn thing and is somewhat obsessed with it. Switching is always a great feeling, and double that when you have a new Mac!

Congrats on the new Mac!! You've already figured out much of why we love 'em. They simply work. Keep in mind that when you run into difficulty, don't try to figure out what a computer geek would do to fix it, think about what makes sense. That's probably the biggest difference between Macs and other OS's. People who make the switch usually get stuck because they are trying to solve problems in difficult ways. No more need for that!! :)

I agree most of the frustating problems that switchers have are because they are over thinking the problem.

Example:

Switcher:

"How do i get rid of an app"

Mac User:

"Throw it in the trash, Empty and your done"

Switcher:

"Thats it huh, so very simple"

IMHO

Microsoft likes to make it complicated so it feels like the OS has more to it, when keeping it simple really has more merit than 5 steps to get rid of a app(or whatever task your doing).

real

Sorry,

I got wraped up in my rant,

Congrats on the new Mac.

"Welcome"

real

i hate you so musch right now resisting the eurge to punch you in the faceim that jealous are you happy now.

I have been saying that for years. Good to see others with the same thoughts

Awesome

When you pick up your Mac say hello to Mike Woodfill, he works at that store and I've known him for years.

Tell him Roogie sent ya!

roog

I think everybody asks about uninstalling applications. I had a similar conversation with my school's IT department after I got my PowerBook. It's a classic example of how things just make more sense on the Mac. It also took me forever to figure out how to automount servers at login. I was looking for some crazy process like in Windows where you map it to a drive letter. Nope, just add it to the Login Items. Obviously -.-;

Could someone give me the 'Oh so simple' process for automounting a Samba/Windows shared directory. It's such a pain having to mount it manually each time.

Could someone give me the 'Oh so simple' process for automounting a Samba/Windows shared directory. It's such a pain having to mount it manually each time.

use automator to create an application that mounts the directory on launch. add the application to your login items.

I'm getting mine soon but its 20 inch. Nothing wrong with the 17 inch, but damn does the chin look big on it!

Congrats! I also just got my mac, and I'm also thrilled!

Did u get iWork yet? If not, I reccomend it! I'm using it like crazy!

But wait until the "event" on February 20th.

What event? Leo Laporte hasn't got an invite to anything then, and to be honest, if he hasn't been invited it aint happening.

This is ABSOLUTELY DEAD ON.

As a new Mac user a few years ago when something wasn't going just how I liked it, I approached it from a PC mentality only to have one of those "ohhhh, that's it?" moments.