Sign in to follow this  
sttrek341

i need some help

i dont know if this is the right section to have this but here it is.

i have been trying to get my grandma to switch over to a mac. here is the catch, i think the 'tech' people that she has been talking to have been saying lies. she is just an averge user that uses the internet, email and word. some times she uses a program for pictures. the 'tech' people have been saying that an intel chip is bad and she will have to buy a more expenive comp with an amd chip in it. they have also been telling her that the intel chips in the apple comps are bad and she should get the amd chip comp that they are recommeding.

she also belives that she will be out of contact of all her friends, family and all the people she sends emails to if she switches becuase the computer will not have to same programs that she needs. she also says this even though we have been emailing back and forth cross platform with the types of documents that she is complaing about that will not work.

so here is my question. does any person know of some good arguments on why she should switch. i have already tryed but saying there is no viruses and the interface is a lot better. also that everying that she will need a comp to do is a lot simpler to use.

i think that is clear ask if you need more clearing up. thanks

Best thing to do is let gran have a go with your mac book with the applictions she is intrested in.Dont push to hard explain your experiences dont shoot the windows box down in flames ,this can be off puttting.

The one thing with a windows pc they are cheap which is a big thing to someone who only wants to simple things with the machine.

say that us techs in here with certifications are not trying to make any money and are suggesting macs. We get no money for this, yet many of us are certified and/or work on computers either daily or just a lot and know more than those salespeople. note that those are salespeople, not techs.

if you have to, have her touch an overclocked AMD X2 with no heatsink. (Just kidding)

I'd show her just how integrated Mail and Safari and such are.

And show her here.

As applgeek mentioned, a lot of us here are toting Mac and do so daily, and we get no money out of it. You don't typiclly see a PC user doing the same.

Caught between my two great loves. AMDs and Macs. Which will I sugust. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

She should get the AMD. And run OSX86 on it! Best of both worlds!

She should get the AMD. And run OSX86 on it! Best of both worlds!

Ill bet the core duo is better--what kind of Amd are they selling her? It better be at least an athlon X2. you can always run windows on the iMac. note that the intel is better, because it is more powerful. Do note that these guys want to make money and dont know what they;re talking about. If tthey are trying to sell her a sempron, you can fight back! Semprons are AMD's Version of a celeron. Athlon 64's are their version of pentium 4's.

Athlon X2's are comparable to the pentium D and Core Duo. See what these guys are proposing. If the processor is not an athlon 64 X2, then note that thre macs have two processors on one chip and are extremely powerful and that the mac is the future. Also note the "not getting paid" thing with us professionals. We are pro's, those people are salespeople who probably got cheap Amd's and want to sell them. Do they sell macs? If they dont, then they want to push a pc and they are going to scrutinize the mac. Go into a store displaying the iMacs and start playing with photo booth. Some may like photo booth. Open iweb, and make a web page (right there) with the crazy wierd pics. show her how easy it is to do things on a mac. Sometimes you have to prove yourself. Tell her that the intel is more powerful and the guys were liars. Also as a fun fact I will note that AMD Processors Run about 600 degrees. Pentium 4's run around 86 degrees. Note the difference. Any Questions ? Did she seriously get the PC?