Huskermn

Website downloader ?

I know I used to have a program that would do this, but, I don't remember what it was called. It might actually have been a Cyberdog thing. Anyway, I want to 'rip' a website. I just want a copy in case the site goes away. I want to get all of the pages one level down from the index. It's pretty simple and I could do manually but I don't want to if I don't need to.

Ideas?

Thanks.

you may be able to use a program like 'interarchy'

just open the site in the http part and copy the contents.

Could Automator not do it?

I know I used to have a program that would do this, but, I don't remember what it was called. It might actually have been a Cyberdog thing. Anyway, I want to 'rip' a website. I just want a copy in case the site goes away. I want to get all of the pages one level down from the index. It's pretty simple and I could do manually but I don't want to if I don't need to.

Ideas?

Thanks.

There is a command-line utility called 'wget' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget) but I do not believe it is installed by default. You may need darwinports to build it or, you could build it from source. If you try that and have problems, IM me (see my AIM link) and I can build it and send it to you.

Web Devil and PageSucker both do that also, I've used PageSucker for quite a while, don't think it's been updated in a while though.

roog

Maxtor's WebDumper. works pretty well

that has got to be the worst name for an application I have ever heard!

I have to ask because it's obviously not your web site. WHY?? Why the WHOLE web site? Why not just the files you need?

- MT

I have to ask because it's obviously not your web site. WHY?? Why the WHOLE web site? Why not just the files you need?

- MT

I've used offline browser's before when I've not had regular access to the internet. If you download from a site with decent content to read it's quite handy to be able to browse a site whilst offline.

I've also used them to check out the structure of a competitors web site. No industrial espionage involved as you only get the public parts, all the good server side code is never available.

Ah, I can see that. However, with WiFi being almost as available as sewer water in a city, I can't see the usefulness. Then again, I've ONLY lived in large cities so I don't know much about living in the country.

- MT

mTorbin - it's not always about city vs country life...

I travel a lot for a living.

There are some web sites that are pretty informative, but extensive in content which requires hours of reading.

For example: some sort of tutorial, on-line course or "how-to's". I find it a great use of time on a trans-continental flght to be able to use this "dead" time to do some reading on a topic that I am trying to get through. Most airlines do not offer in-flight wifi yet, or charge exhorbitant fees.

Being able to "download" or "rip" a websites' entire content (other than ad's, spam etc.), allows you to get through this content while not having an internet connection.

Any newer, better suggestions out there?

Cheers,

Chris773

Edited by Chris773

- MT

I'm not the OP but I do the same thing. My reasons for doing so are work related -- I'm in advertising and frequently create websites.

One reason I do it is to have an archive of what a client's site looked like before my redesign. Having before and after examples locally makes for good presentation and case study. Why keep the entire site rather than a few screen grabs? For purposes of demonstrating functionality, architecture and overall UE.

A second reason is to preserve a copy of a site as it looked at a certain point in time. You can go to the Way Back Machine but often they don't don't have all linked art and such.