Sign in to follow this  
demko

applecare... is it worth it?

Hey All,

I'm probably going to end up buying a 15" macbook pro in the near future and I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts on applecare was. Previously I've never bought it since I always compared it to regular extended warrienties that make companies a bunch of money since most of them go unused. However, since this is the first intel based laptop I'm kicking around the idea of buying it since who knows what hardware problems may creep up down the road. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about it, good or bad.

Thanks!

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!

Even if you never use it, it is better to have and not need it than need it and not have it! :wink:

BUY IT. Unlike most warranties Apple will bend over backwards when you have applecare. They replace lcds and logic boards almost on a whim. There is always some posting about how suprisingly easy it was to walk in to an apple store with some unknown problem and find that they want to replace the logic board or something else ridiculously expensive. Plus if you do sell your computer before apple care is up it can add a lot of value on the used market. BUY IT. BUY IT. BUY IT.

I have to agree on this one. AppleCare is worth it on portable computers more than any other form factor. It can be difficult and expensive to repair a laptop and that alone makes it a worthwhile investment.

GET THE APPLECARE.

No, really. I am not joking, JUST BUY IT.

I have had a $700 logic board replaced with it... not to mention what they are currently doing to fix another problem on the same computer, which will probably involve another hard drive or motherboard. Without it, we would have been pretty much screwed several times.

They have also done things like taking my iPod and running a battery test on it no questions asked. Turns out things like doing anything but a looping <1 MB song will actually go for 8 hours, but they did the test for free. You just have to get it... not doing so would be dumb.

I saved my self $600 worth of iPod's and that's just an iPod a computer is much more expensive and is well worth it. Additionally it's a longer warrenty with the computer than with the iPod.

Since this is your first Mac, you should get it. However, has you are more expiencienced with Macs, dont get it on your future Macs.

Since this is your first Mac, you should get it. However, has you are more expiencienced with Macs, dont get it on your future Macs.

I don't think that will cover failing hard drives or logic boards :wink:

i have had to relive on this care a lot. i it has saved hundreds of dollars. it is sure worth it.

I don't think that will cover failing hard drives or logic boards

haha, yeah I have to agree a seasoned mac user couldn't fix those problems

Recently my powerbook's HD gott messed up due to it being thrown out of my hands and the Genius guys were very nice they took me in even though they were booked and they couldn't replace my HD there so they shipped it out and re installed the original OS and all the apps.

With desktops I've generally not gotten it unless I had an issue within the original warranty period. My iBook will have it when the warranty expires, though I didn't buy it originally. I can't imagine getting a laptop without a longer term service agreement of some sort.

Either get Applecare or buy a new Mac every year.

applecare would defently be cheaper.

Not buying AppleCare is kind of llike sticking your foot in a bucket. Sure, you can fix the problem, but it's rather embarrassing in public.

- MT

Applecare for laptops, definitely. The repair costs on them are so high, usually only do-able at special centres. It's just not worth the risk, especially given the fact that they are on the move so much.

Similarly LCDs... I think when a LCD dies, it's dead and they cost so much, at least Apple's ones do...

I would factor Applecare into every Mac purchase but especially the above.

On that note, it's important to point out that Applecare does NOT cover BROKEN LCDS, only manufacturer defects. In other words, if you drop it, it's all you ba-by!!

- MT

I don't believe it covers laptop batteries either. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Only if there is a recall or a lawsuit involving batteries or the battery is obviously a manufacturer defect (such as it opens up, leaks all over your carpet and into your pet Floopsie's bowl. The next day, you notice that Floopsie is genetrically transforming into a half dog, half elephant, half insect super beast hell bent on taking over your city by breathing large gasious clouds at all of the young people with oddly shaved heads and Hollister hoodies, but that is a tale for another time!)

- MT

Only if there is a recall or a lawsuit involving batteries or the battery is obviously a manufacturer defect (such as it opens up, leaks all over your carpet and into your pet Floopsie's bowl. The next day, you notice that Floopsie is genetrically transforming into a half dog, half elephant, half insect super beast hell bent on taking over your city by breathing large gasious clouds at all of the young people with oddly shaved heads and Hollister hoodies, but that is a tale for another time!)

- MT

Yeah, I think I read that one in the Terms and Conditions :wink:

Hey, don't knock it. Stranger things have happened...

- MT

Hey, don't knock it. Stranger things have happened...

- MT

yeah like Rosie O'Donnel and the View

I would suggest putting it on applecare AND homeowners insurance (if applicable) because apple is not going to replace it if your house burns down. or shattered LCD's for that matter. but portaables are shown in statistics that they need more service than desktops. I would definitely recommend applecare and Homeowners insurance coverage.

Laptops are more fragile than desktops, so if you're getting a laptop applecentre is a must.