Sign in to follow this  
sttrek341

fast user switching??????????

is there a key command that lets you 'log out' i mean go to the log in menu but have the account still logged in. like you can in the fast user switching menu? if not is there a way to set this up?

Clarification: You can go to the login window without logging out via Fast User Switching or you can log out of your current user profile and go to the login window via Command+Shift+Q. What Josh wants here is to get the in-between, achieve the first instance via the keyboard.

Just making sure man, sorry I don't have an answer for you.

login window via Command+Shift+Q

you can stop the computer from asking you if you want to logout by also holding the option key (I think I'm not at my mac right now). I like it just because it goes faster.

i dont want to log out. i still want to be logged in i just want to be able to do so with a key command. i can do it now by using the fast user swicher but i would like to have a key command.

I have asked the question over at the Apple Discussion Forums. Hopefully we should have a reply in a day or so.

The "fast user switching" is a so called "status menu" item (ie on the right side of the menubar) and can't be accessed directly via a keyboard shortcut. However, "Tiger" introduced a new standard keyboard shortcut to switch "focus" to the "status menu", ^-F8 by default. Focus goes to the left-most "status menu" first, but can be switched to other items using arrow keys.

So if you set up a keyboard shortcut for a user in the FUS menu using "System Preferences" > "Keyboard & Mouse" > "Keyboard Shortcuts", and have the FUS menu positioned so that it is left-most (by ?-dragging), then the FUS menu can be activated by first pressing ^-F8, then the assigned keyboard shortcut. Of course, the ^-F8 can be changed to something more convenient as well...