Sign in to follow this  
MACo_Polo

Stupid Question #2

I am fairly new to Apple Computers and was wondering if someone could tell me what an Xserve was???

Xserves are the Mac servers made by Apple. Of course, your servers can be made by anyone, running any OS to work with Mac clients, but it's always nice to stick with the theme and get Apple goodies everywhere.

More info on Xserves can be found here (including images).

Also, please don't feel stupid asking these kinds of questions, I had no idea, in fact most of us had no idea until we got our first Macs. PM me or find me on iChat anytime for "stupid questions" if it helps.

XServes are not related to their coursins, UServe, in any way other then name. I tend to have a few UServes when I go to visit my parents:

"Hey! If you want something from the kitchen Userve yourself, I'm not your maid!"

- MT

XServes are not related to their coursins, UServe, in any way other then name. I tend to have a few UServes when I go to visit my parents:

"Hey! If you want something from the kitchen Userve yourself, I'm not your maid!"

- MT

thats funny, i should tell that to the "IT Man" at our school. and someone once said or i just remember it from a video at school is "the only stupid question is one not asked." 10 months ago before i got my first mac and you asked me what and Airport express was i would;ve thought it was a supersonic jet subway.

Also, please don't feel stupid asking these kinds of questions, I had no idea, in fact most of us had no idea until we got our first Macs. PM me or find me on iChat anytime for "stupid questions" if it helps.

Same here. (thanks for the great post matt)

I also wanted to note that Xserves are apple's Rack-Mount server options that come with OS X Server; almost any other mac can be a server also, if you do not need the rackmount capabilities, or If you prefer power (and a superdrive). Xserves do not come with superdrives, because they are simply servers. Though you can get a superdrive for 100 bucks from apple (or 50 bucks from compusa)

:D

Same here. (thanks for the great post matt)

I also wanted to note that Xserves are apple's Rack-Mount server options that come with OS X Server; almost any other mac can be a server also, if you do not need the rackmount capabilities, or If you prefer power (and a superdrive). Xserves do not come with superdrives, because they are simply servers. Though you can get a superdrive for 100 bucks from apple (or 50 bucks from compusa)

:D

That is true. Technically any computer can be used as a server, I should have said they are Apples server solution. I really don't know what good a SuperDrive would be in any server, but being that they are rackmountable they are only really useful as a server. Very expensive, but very powerful.