Sign in to follow this  
firebirdboi06

No Apple Store Nearby? Here's My Suggestion:

Don't have an Apple Store in your area? I've got a wonderful solution for you, find a Comp USA location. I went over there this weekend, and they were asolutly marvelous. They have Apple-certified technicians on hand to answer any questions, can give AppleCare services, and have a more Apple Store approach to what I call "the Apple Corner". There's also software available just for the Mac, from Apple-created apps, to games. They even had a 20" iMac with Boot Camp and games installed to test out the hardware. I had an extremely good experience looking about there, and highly recommend it to those able to visit one. I imagine that they are not international yet, and they arn't even in every state yet. Montana, Wyoming, Maine, North Dakota and South Dakota all have no Comp USA locations.

Great tip, thanks. I will have to remember that one for all the Americans I find with such issues from now on.

Comp USA has Apple certified technicians? I don't remember that... I've been to Comp USA several times and I was pleased with their mac support, but I didn't know they had Apple certified technicians. It is a pretty cool place to go, but the I do like the Apple store better and I don't mind driving a little more to get there (plus, there's a new Apple store opening really close to my house, I'm so excited!!!)

Comp USA has Apple certified technicians?  I don't remember that...  I've been to Comp USA several times and I was pleased with their mac support, but I didn't know they had Apple certified technicians.  It is a pretty cool place to go, but the I do like the Apple store better and I don't mind driving a little more to get there (plus, there's a new Apple store opening really close to my house, I'm so excited!!!)

Yes, as a matter of fact at this URL on CompUSA's site, they boast about it on the right hand side, underneath the "Got a Minute?" Hi-Fi banner.

http://www.compusa.com/specials/showcases/...ple/default.asp

depending on what Compusa store you go to.

The one by me has a very small apple area and its all the way in the back corner.

I also never see an apple representative and the people i do ask never have a clue as to what i am talking about when it comes to macs! LOL

I know that they have apple certefied techs, but they didnt fix my computer. I brought them My ibook with a list of problems (Power adapter, feet keyboard, and logic problems) And they only replaced the power adapter. They need to FIX!

Advantage of not having Apple Store in your state: NO SALES TAX!!!!!!!!!!

Are you in oregon? I always have sales tax even if at reseller or compusa (or apple store). Also no tax if you order from powermax, they are in oregon.

I am in california, can you tell?

Advantage of not having Apple Store in your state: NO SALES TAX!!!!!!!!!!

sales tax varies from state to state, in Minnesota it makes not difference whether I buy if from Apple or any other reseller. The only reason I go to an Apple store to get my stuff is because I like the store's atmosphere (and soon there will be one closer to me than any other reselle, yes!!!).

You see, if you order from the internet and the store HQ ain't located en yo state, then you don't have to pay no sales tax. Does that enable you to understand more?

Sometimes the state requires you to pay sales taxes and requires you to report your out of state sales.

ive been to a store that has apple computers in them and they dont know anything about them.

I am on my 3rd computer purchased from CompUSA here in MN. The first was a blueberry iMac G3, and the customer service was just fine, nothing special but not bad. Eventually I had a compressed screen and it was convered under warrenty so they gave me the 1st generation iMac flat panel. They said I was going to be on their waiting list after I gave them my iMac G3, and they said they should have the flat panels in stock in about a week. Every week or so for 2 months they called and said "Oh, yeah, looks like it is going to be another week." It was overall extremely frustrating and turned me into an online shopper for a while rather than going to CompUSA, which is a LOT closer of a location than going to the Mall of America for an Apple store. After a few years I bought an eMac 1.25 GHz, and at the time they were out of stock. They told me it would be only a couple days, a week at most, until a new shipment came in and I was specifically promised first on the list. I called 3 days afterwards to see when they thought they would get their shipment, and they told me they would call. I waited all in all about 2 and a half weeks for their call, and eventally I called them and asked if they had them in yet. They said they had multiple in stock, and just because I was curious I asked how long they have had them in stock. The guy told me about a week. I would say if you have an internet connection, stay away from CompUSA and just buy directly from the Apple store site. I have made several purchases from their, and they were completely perfect with incredibly fast shipping. When I bought my 30GB iPod, the site estimated 5 day shipping for free, and I got my iPod in 2 days.

Do you plan on using the new one in Ridgedale (have you been there?)? They have a lot of third party stuff as well that I haven't seen in the ones at Southdale and the MOA they have printers and hard drives, maybe I just haven't noticed in the other ones, but I'm pretty sure those weren't there.

Yeah I think so, either that or do my dealings online if I am feeling lazy that particular day

Yup, CompUSA is great. Apple Store is too far away for me, so it's nice to have CompUSA nearby. I bought my iMac there and recently when the SuperDrive died, I brought it there and they fixed it within a week.