Sign in to follow this  
real

snycing desktop w/ laptop

Has anyone figured out a good way to snyc data from a desktop to a laptop so both machines have the same data. Looking for a good way to do this.

thanks

real

There are a few ways to do this. If you have a .Mac account then you can use .Mac syncing, otherwise a good free option is to use the backup application SuperDuper! as it can backup to the other machine which effectively updates it, especially when you only "backup" changed files.

.Mac was slow when I tried uploading 1 gig of JPEGs on a very fast connection. It took 2-3 hours.

.Mac was slow when I tried uploading 1 gig of JPEGs on a very fast connection. It took 2-3 hours.

Everyone has a very different experience of .Mac. My experience has been great for example. My advice would be not to spend the $99.95 simply for this use, but if you would use the rest of the features then it's well worth the money.

There are plenty of free applications that will sync Macs (even if they aren't explicitly designed for it), you could even do so through OS X, finding one for you is the trick. I'd suggest checking Version Tracker and taking a look at the screenshots/websites before you decide. I can certainly vouch for SuperDuper! though.

That was my only gripe, the one time I needed it to sync alot of data it took forever.

Has anyone figured out a good way to snyc data from a desktop to a laptop so both machines have the same data. Looking for a good way to do this.

Helo "real",

I know this this answer comes late, but I think I have a good solution in mind: FolderShare. Just visit FolderShare.com to download the software, you will need to register for a new user name. I have been using FolderShare for many years (OK, two) and I like it. Here are what I like about this program:

• Free
  • This is a P2P (Person to person) share, which means FolderShare does not keep copies of your files on their server. A word of warning: P2P does not mean your files are safe while trasporting from machine to machine. So if you have some rather private files that are super sensitive: use your decretion.
  • It automatically synchronize between machines; it can synchronize the same folder on more than two machines.
  • It can synchronize files between Mac and PC. I do that all the time
  • If you allow it in the settings, you can search for files that is not shared. For example, when I am away from home with my Mac, I can search for files on my Windows XP desktop machine and download those files to my Mac--provide that my XP machine is is and connected to the internet. You don't even need a static IP address.
  • You can share files with other accounts (friends, family, colleagues...] with your permission.
  • You can share/synchronize more than one folders.
  • It can synchronize large folders--I have tried folders as big as 4GB and I see no reason why it can't handle even larger folders. The catch is synchronization will take time: just leave it running over night. Subsequent file changes such as modification, add, or delete will sync much faster.

Those are the features that I like about FolderShare, enough to allow me to overlook the following shortcomings:

• If you want to share/sync two different folders, you have to create two different share points (FolderShare's terminology is 'library')
  • Microsoft has purchased FolderShare. I don't know what that means to the future of this great software. At the least, they could charge for it.
  • The software requires OS X 10.3.8 at the minimum, which prevents me from sharing with my brother's 10.2.8 machine.
  • You cannot use FolderShare to sync between folders on your internal hard drive and external ones--only between machines.

In summary, this is a good, free program that I have been using for more than two years. Give it a try.