Sign in to follow this  
mightymatt

ipod alternatives

hey everyone.

I just found the ipod mini that i lost yesterday, it was in the washer machine, and needless to say it is now a brick... I really like the creative zen micro but i don't think its mac compatible, can anyone recommend an ipod alternatve thats mac compatible, preferrable witha microdrive... thanks matt

why in the heck would you want anything besides an ipod?

fyi, the nano can survive a trip through the wash after a reset

ummm, an ipod nano? It does one better than a microdrive by having flash memory and isn't it about the same size as a mini or zen micro plus it works very well with a mac. I mean why is it that you are looking for an ipod alternative?

umm i was thinking of something that wasn't an ipod... i'm considering a nano, but i'd really like something that was usb mass storage compliant, also im a little weary of buying a solid state device that is meant to be rewritten over and over again which is why i was looking for a microdrive player...

oh why don't i want an ipod anymore? umm... i guess because I don't like the way it's become a status sybmol or whatever... I'm kind of bored with it... I sick of being steve job's b1tch youknow?

oh why don't i want an ipod anymore? umm... i guess because I don't like the way it's become a status sybmol or whatever... I'm kind of bored with it... I sick of being steve job's b1tch youknow?

That's funny. I understand your feelings and keep my iPod out of site. I've never been one of the "in-crowd." Why start now. I even got rid of the white earbuds.

However, I just haven't found an MP3 player that will work well with Apple. There are certainly several that can be used with a Mac, but the interfaces (or lack of interfaces) are clunky.

iTunes doesn't work with any other MP3 players, and after using a couple of other programs, I think iTunes is the easiest program to use for music organization.

So, the moral of the story is that an iPod might be the best solution. You could buy one from ebay so you don't directly support Jobs. And hiding that you actually use an iPod is pretty easy if you are concerned about your reputation as a rebel.

;)

I don't care what it's become, it works, it works well, it works well with the stuff I have and I like it, that's all a product needs to be, what an iPod means to other people doesn't have to mean to you.

Better have your music files in MP3 and not in AAC, the iPod only supports AAC.

yeah i was afraid that i was gunna here that... i mean i have windows computers in my house but it would be a pain to transfer my music there... I might but a mini off of ebay becuase i really do prefer it over the nano, but i might also buy a zen micro and deal with the hassle ... i dont know..

They still have the 4gb Mini for 149...that's not a bad deal at all! Or a refurbished 2gb nano for $169!

i wouldn't suggest another type of mp3 player, i would highly recommend a new ipod

Perhaps you meant to say, AAC only supported by iPods? either way it is incorrect - in fact, Sony recently announced AAC support (but not DRM-ed AAC) on all its walkmans mp3 players; and ipods can play other formats too

Perhaps you meant to say, AAC only supported by iPods? either way it is incorrect - in fact, Sony recently announced AAC support (but not DRM-ed AAC) on all its walkmans mp3 players; and ipods can play other formats too

Correct. I personally find it odd that that Sony contributed to the development of a format that they only properly employ nearly 10 years later... Hrm... Still, iTunes stays true to iPod by the look of it. iPods can definitely playback mp3 though.

its the fair play drm you need to get your music to work with mp3 player and apple wont license out that software just yet.

the rio carbon is an excellent mp3 player that is very much compatible with the mac it is also a leger storage device so you save hardrive space because you dont need copys of the music on the harddrive. rio went out of business recently but you sshould be able to pick one up on ebay quite cheap.

umm i was thinking of something that wasn't an ipod... i'm considering a nano, but i'd really like something that was usb mass storage compliant, also im a little weary of buying a solid state device that is meant to be rewritten over and over again which is why i was looking for a microdrive player...

I donnno if this helps you out, but the 5G iPod works great as a mass storage device on the Mac. I backup stuff to my ipod all the time. Its great!

why in the heck would you want anything besides an ipod?

fyi, the nano can survive a trip through the wash after a reset

Agreed. The Zen Micro was the 1st MP3 player to bring me to tears with it's horrible interface. THE FOWARD AND BACK BUTTONS ARE 1 MILLIMETER FROM THE SELECT BUTTON AND THERE IS NO BUMP TO TELL WHERE YOU HAVE CROSSED THE LINE!

its the fair play drm you need to get your music to work with mp3 player and apple wont license out that software just yet.

Apple won't license the DRM, but AAC is an open format that Sony helped develop. Sounds odd to me.

I have to agree with s03bf0c0 though, the 5G iPod is a great mass storage device, as is the iPod Nano.

Apple won't license the DRM, but AAC is an open format that Sony helped develop. Sounds odd to me.

I have to agree with s03bf0c0 though, the 5G iPod is a great mass storage device, as is the iPod Nano.

apple wont license it because the ipod is so popular if the other mp3 manufactors actually start to pose a threat to the ipod i think apple will start licensing out the fairplay drm. i think the only company that stands any chance of knocking apple of the top spot is microsoft the path of least resistence and all that. they are incoporating an online store into there next version of windows media player aswell if they had a mp3 player to acompanie it then apple could be introuble.

hey everyone... i'm now leaning towards a nano.. is it anyones concern that the memory might wear out from listening to it constantly?

hey everyone... i'm now leaning towards a nano.. is it anyones concern that the memory might wear out from listening to it constantly?

uh no, if that happened flash based MP3 players wouldn't exist.

Flash memory is far more reliable than the hard drive you'd have otherwise. Don't worry about whether the flash will fail, just don't leave your nano in a pocket in the laundry and you'll be good to go.