Sign in to follow this  
Fury

17 MBP - First thoughts

So I received my 17" MBP in the mail yesterday. (I'm not posting to brag... the PodCast asked for comments about the new MBP).

Here is a list of some first reactions. Now some of these may seem nitpicky, but please don't get me wrong. These are minor, pebble sized issues which I've noticed, compared to mountain-sized satisfaction, pleasure, enjoyment.

-- Beautiful form factor and case. This is no surprise. Every mac laptop since the original TiBook has been drool worthy.

-- The track pad is approximately 1/4" too wide. I find that when I'm typing, the base of my palm, next to my thumb touches the track pad. So as I type, the cursor "jiggles" a little bit. I never noticed this as a problem on the 17" AL books.

-- The latch is a bit finicky. Not to say it's difficult, but it certainly requires a specific touch to open the laptop.

-- XP through boot camp wails! It's unbelievably fast. To be fair, all new installations of XP feel snappy, then become sluggish over time. We'll see.

-- Having trouble getting XP to file share with other XP desktops. This one is probably user error. I'll have to keep working on this one.

-- I know everyone it touting Virtualization as the future... But I love the Dual Boot to XP. The windows apps which I need tend to require fairly significant processor / GPU usage. So when I'm in windows, I want it to be as stable as possible.

-- The case gets extremely hot. Especially right above the F4 to F8 keys. It could seriously burn people who are not careful. I did read about the excessive thermal grease issue. I have a feeling my laptop is off the first run, prior to this resolution.

-- I haven't noticed the "animal sounds" which others have reported for the 15" MBP's.

That's all I have for now. I'll write back more thoughts as new issues occur.

Thanks for the insightful post. I certainly know what you mean about the trackpad as I have had other laptops which I felt the same about but my 15" powerbook has never had that issue.

It's also interesting what you said about virtualization. It's not something that has been discussed here and I think you make a good point.

Thanks again.

I'm noticing that the screen does not carry the same level of brightness through out. Along the bottom edge of the LCD Screen (approximately the bottom 1/4" - 1/2"), the pixels are significantly brighter, than those in the middle.

It's most noticable when I use a background image that is a solid color. Adjusting the screen brightness only seems to dim all pixels at the same rate, leaving the bright areas relatively brighter.

As always, 2 more inches or room means 2 more inches easier to bump the computer into something :lol:

Sign in to follow this