Sign in to follow this  
houltmac

A Case for AppleCare

I got my 15" 1.67 PowerBook back in July/August 2005 as a gift. I had not cash (gosh how little things have changed) and so didn't get AppleCare. Everything has been fine and only tiny superficial issue have occurred until now:

1. Left of the track-pad the paint is spotting away presumably due to sweat from my left hand (being right handed my right hand moves more to control the mouse or track-pad).

2. A small scratch (tiny and unnoticeable) on the top right corner of the display surround.

3. A hefty scratch on the bottom of the case (next to the battery lock) from lending it to a friend for the day (I won't make that mistake again). It's underneath though and thus unnoticeable.

Today I was sat on the couch working through the forum responses from last night when the dog went mad and dashed past me, taking the power cable with him. My PowerBook flew off my lap and for a second I was convinced I was going to see the inside of the HDD.

Thankfully I didn't. The Mac stood up strong and continued to download podcasts even. On inspection there was nothing wrong with the hardware and everything was running completely as normal. The case has a small dent (outward) from the lower case mold (front, right corner but the front) which has unclipped the top case (keyboard surround piece) on that corner and made a small gap between the lower case and the elegantly flexed lower trim. The roll cage did it's job then.

Immediatly I called the store from which I discovered it was bought and explained the situation. I was informed that being that it's "accidental damage" it isn't covered by the warranty (I knew as much was looking for some good will). The cost to repair (replacement lower case mold)? £110.88 +VAT (17.5% tax) + labor. Total cost somewhere in the region of £180. For a dent!

The case is currently killing my arm to lean on while typing and frankly can't stay like that for too long, this PowerBook gets too much use. Then again I don't have a penny to my name and there is no way I can afford a repair or a replacement. The case is actually so sharp it has now drawn blood. What am I going to do?

You know the advice I got from the reseller? "You should have bought AppleCare." "Well I didn't." Was my huffy reply. "Then you just got screwed Mr Hoult."

Let this be a lesson to us all. And to think I have sent over £10,000 worth of business their way over the past 6-9 months. Unbelievable. I am now accepting donation of £180, new 20" iMacs, new 12" iBooks or 15" MacBook Pros. ;)

would applecare make a difference in these sorts of 'accidental damage' situations? If it is still within the first year, the option is to purchase Applecare now (I believe you can register applecare up till the first year) - but I realise that option would mean spending >£200.

Sorry about your predicament all the same

couldnt you hook up an external keyboard to it i no only a short term solution for a laptop but i remember seeing that you use a desk i you could hook a cheap keyboard up 2 it untl you get the funds. or better still if one of your friends is a bad computer geek he might have a spare keyboard lying around i now i have four lying around lol. i wonder why i dont have a girlfriend as well. :):(

Usually AppleCare wouldn't help, but if you purchase through the third party reseller then they are really very lenient as to what they charge you for thereafter. Still, over 10k of business being sent their way has to be better than a couple of hundred bucks in care plans no? I would like to have seen some loyalty, some good will.

Trust me, I have about 150 keyboards lying around, in terms of hardware and peripherals you won't find anyone more alert than me. I am traveling this weekend though (I am at a friends right now for instance) so an external won't help right now. I can't bear to use a PC keyboard with a Mac anyway, it's all wrong.

144996194_f0d7efc573.jpg

Damage after 3 hours of battling with it myself. Looks much better than it did but it's still a mess.

i have had the paint part come off on my pb and they genius said that they had never seen that before and then went to go ask a 'higher' up genuis that was in the back. they had never seen it before so they couldnt do anything about it.

i have had the paint part come off on my pb and they genius said that they had never seen that before and then went to go ask a 'higher' up genuis that was in the back. they had never seen it before so they couldnt do anything about it.

It's happened on every PowerBook I have ever seen! Unbelievable these people, no morals.

Sorry to hear about the damage, Matt. It's a pity! :cry: But after all we now know what MagSafe's for. 8)

matt, when yous came off was the damage 'into' the pb. i mean was there depth?

matt, when yous came off was the damage 'into' the pb. i mean was there depth?

The paint? I wouldn't say depth, but there is certainly texture. It's like little circles of paint have come away and left little holes in the paint to the bare metal. Lot and lots of very little holes. I hear it gets worse and spreads into bigger patches with time like the earlier versions did. I don't believe it happens with iBooks though?

no ibooks just get big brown sweat stains where your hands lay. lol :D

I typically don't get Applecare on my systems. I find the one year warranty is sufficient and most other problems I can go to different forums.

This will do nothing to add to your case but just to defend apple care my powerbook broke just over a year ago, I waited 6 weeks and was continually told we are fixing it, I even got shouted at by a junior in the apple store, London.

After 6 weeks Id almost lost my patience and then I got a phonecall, we cant get the part so we've decided to give you a new laptop instead, mine was out of warrenty, was going to cost £180 for repiar and they werent even sure that was going to fix it. Now I was walking away with a brand new latop free of charge.

Acidental damage is never covered and the people who fix the macs only have so much power. If they were to make an exception now then why not for everyone who goes in. I know that doesnt help and its harsh day when your mac takes a turn for the worst but I after getting my new laptop a year ago Ill defend apple customer service until I go to my grave.