Sign in to follow this  
MacCast

Should we have Podcast promos at the end of the MacCast?

Should we have Podcast promos at the end of the MacCast?  

141 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • No preference

Do you want to hear promos for other podcasts in the MacCast? Let me know.

I voted "no" but not because they bother me. I usually fast forward through the promos. Having them there doesn't bother me, so really my vote of one of "no preference."

If you don't like them, fast forward.

on the other hand, I have never listened to a podcast I heard about from a promo. So they don't really have a use.

Instead of putting them on the feed, it may be a better idea to create a special section of the website where you link to all the podcasts you want to promote. If a particular one stands out as something that you really want to focus on, then you could mention it at teh end of the show.

I think dawn and drew have a good system. People leave comments and feedback and then at the end of it they can plug their podcast.

I think its definitely useful and its always nice to plug other people's podcast and doesn't take that long

I plug people's podcasts all the time on mine as well as useful websites because i think it will help the listeners out in the long run! :D

Macs are built a lot on the community and I for one don't want to forget that. I think the thing that strikes me most outside of the OS is the integration (without a foundation at all) of Apple, Macs, the OS, software developers, websites, podcasts, blogs and users. In this community everyone is strong because we all review, discuss, help, advertise and otherwise promote each other. We recommend podcasts, websites and software all the time. Why should Adams conversation with his friends and contacts be any different? I love the idea and I think we should see more of it all round.

I also think yensid98 makes a good point about perhaps doing a 60 second review of your favorites every now and then Adam. I'd like to hear that (like you do when you get interviewed and such).

Of course we would like to hear the promos. There can always be something that you want. And if you simply hate the promos, then don't listen to it. It's that easy if you don't like'em

adam keep the show the way you want if you publishing anoth er podcast troubles people than thats there problem as long as your happy with the show then us loyalist will be happy with the show aswell.

As for the music question, I voted No Preference. I rarely listen to them, but others do, so I'm happy either way as long as they stay at the end.

Adam, I honestly don't think this should be a vote. Your show is great, and you always solicit (and act on) audience feedback, but it remains YOUR show. It's not a democracy. I see the promos as a "business" decision, which we should have no say over. The promos keep the Maccast as a participant in the larger podcast community, which is important. Should NBC hold a vote among its audience to determine whether or not they should run commercials during "Lost"? Not exactly the same sort of thing, I know, as the promos don't generate revenue for you (I assume) but the principal is the same. Bottom line, it's not our choice.

I've actually been introduced to a couple of podcasts that I now subscribe to because of promos on the maccast, and if I hear a promo that doesn't seem like my thing (or a song that doesn't interest me for that matter) I just fast-forward to the end.

As a podcaster who's directly benefitted from Adam's generously playing my promo on the MacCast, I appreciate Adam's philosophy of "paying it forward." I share that philosophy, and play promos on my podcast as well.

I have received emails and instant messages from several listeners who've tuned into my 'cast, specifically because they heard my promo on the MacCast. This is very humbling and flattering, and truly makes a difference to a podcaster who's in the "early days" of his/her show.

I hope Adam continues to offer "promo time" for fellow podcasters. It's a nifty way for MacCast listeners to learn about other programs -- and it's good karma, plain and simple.

adam keep the show the way you want if you publishing anoth er podcast troubles people than thats there problem as long as your happy with the show then us loyalist will be happy with the show aswell.

I think Adam may be trying to get some actual feedback from us and trying to find out how to make the podcast better. (Not hear tons of worthless, worshipping, fanboyism)

Keep em in - I don't think i've ever run out to listen to one based on a single ad, however if I notice the same podcast being mentioned on several of my current podcasts i'm very likely to give it a try

J.C. - your's is one of the podcasts that I specifically got interested in due to a promo on the MacCast.

As a podcaster who's directly benefitted from Adam's generously playing my promo on the MacCast, I appreciate Adam's philosophy of "paying it forward." I share that philosophy, and play promos on my podcast as well.

I have received emails and instant messages from several listeners who've tuned into my 'cast, specifically because they heard my promo on the MacCast. This is very humbling and flattering, and truly makes a difference to a podcaster who's in the "early days" of his/her show.

I hope Adam continues to offer "promo time" for fellow podcasters. It's a nifty way for MacCast listeners to learn about other programs -- and it's good karma, plain and simple.

the promos add exposure to our show plus other peoples podcasts so they are very important. :!:

They are good for the podcast community and I like hearing about new possilities for listening...I say keep it. You can always fast forward thru it...

I really don't listen to the promos, although I voted no preference because it's at the end of the podcast.

I would request, however, that you [Adam] would add a bookmark to the very end (ie. 1 second before the end). This is so that when I skip over the promo, I will still get the last second and, therefore, iTunes will recognize the episode as played.

Why not have promos if you don't like them skip them and anyway I discovered the macpropodcast throught a promo on the maccast.

Doesn't matter to me either way. Although I like the gesture for new podcasters, so I say keep it.

I intially was going to say no, but as long as you don't do too many and you are referencing good new ones, and not doing them for the sake of doing them then I'll say yes, we can of course always move on fast forward, and it is a community after all. And we don't want to loose that side.....

I've read on one of the podcasting forums (I believe it was Podcast Pickle) that almost no promos are being played on podcasts anymore. If they are, not every episode. Of course, there are exceptions.

You should bare in mind that promos are usually reciprocal, which means that Adam can draw listeners from the other podcast. The more listeners, the more money Adam can ask for sponsoring the macCast by companies, so he can create better shows, or do special events to promote the macCast.

And it doesn't have to be a tech podcast, because Macs are also used for other creative work, such as writing books, creating music and doing website design. Those subjects (will) have their own podcasts. Playing promos of those podcast might give you new ideas for what you can do with your Mac.

Edited by Ignoracious