Sign in to follow this  
sincitymedic

MACBOOK IS HERE!!!!

I'm sorry... but since day 1 of the talk about a black model, I haven't understood all the hoopla.  What's the big deal?  Some people are acting like they've never heard of a black laptop and it's some new revelation.  I think the black model looks very ordinary... like dozens of other portables on the market by PC-makers.  The white is SO much nicer looking and I don't understand why most do not prefer it over the black.  Perhaps someone could explain if I've missed something...

I agree. Almost every PC maker has a black laptop. I can't think of anyone other than Apple with a white one...

Work Longer Unplugged

MacBook offers up to 6 hours of battery life. (2.5 hours of DVD playback, 3.5 hours with wireless turned on.) Here’s how to squeeze out every last second of battery power when you need it.

Turn off AirPort and Bluetooth if you’re not using them

The Airport and Bluetooth does not make sense to me. Doesn't it say that you get more battery life with wireless turned on?

The Airport and Bluetooth does not make sense to me. Doesn't it say that you get more battery life with wireless turned on?

Ummm, no....

So yesterday I got a letter from the IRS saying that I had made a mistake and overpaid my taxes. So, if I don't mind, their proposed solution is to give me back a lot of money.

Wow! How many people can say the IRS bought them a computer. I'm envious. When you get tired of playing with the MacBook, let me know. I'll send you my address.

;)

This machine is great value!

I am sure that the benchmarking will show that it performs pretty closely to the Macbook Pro. I can't imagine why not as the only difference seems to be in the graphics card.

The integrated iSight is great especially for those who travel away from home and want to get in touch with the little mac geeks at home. Personally I wouldn't buy an extra camera, but I would definately use an integrated one. The remote would also be invaluble for presenting. How slick would you look holding that little remote and presenting.

The form factor looks a lot thinner than the old iBook and that should give it a little bit more sex appeal as I always thought the old iBooks were pretty chunky.

The only question is black or white?

(of course white! It is one of the things that differentiates us from other computer users and their dull black boxes!)

Question folks... I just want to Double check this...

Apart from the obvious colour...the ONLY difference between the 2.0Ghz White & Back MacBook is that the Black has the 80GB HD as standard..right?

So... the White MB + the 80GB HD upgrade = UK£939 V's the Black £1029....so you're paying £90 just to have a Black MacBook? I am right???????

For our US friends:

So... the White MB + the 80GB HD upgrade = US$1732 V's the Black $1898....so you're paying $166 just to have a Black MacBook? I am right???????

(Note: These prices are the MacBook's UK prices, inc. 17.5% Sales Tax, converted to US$ using Apple Dashboard Converter)

Just wanted to make Double Sure, I'd be wasting money on a black one!

Cheers,

Inspector Gadget

I covered the costs in USD in my write-up on the homepage (maccast.com). I can't fathom it either. $150 for a color difference? No.

For our US friends:

So... the White MB + the 80GB HD upgrade = US$1732 V's the Black $1898....so you're paying $166 just to have a Black MacBook? I am right???????

Where are you getting those prices? The white MacBook with 80 GB drive is $1349 and the black model is $1499, $150 more... definitely not worth it.

For our US friends:

Where are you getting those prices? The white MacBook with 80 GB drive is $1349 and the black model is $1499, $150 more... definitely not worth it.

Those prices are conversions of what we are paying in Britain (we have 17.5% tax remember) rather than just taking them from the Apple onine store.

Ah... sounds like someone is getting handed their ... well, you know. :)

Did anyone here know that the MacBook has a user replaceable HDD under the battery (the RAM is also stored there now). Interesting.

Did anyone here know that the MacBook has a user replaceable HDD under the battery (the RAM is also stored there now). Interesting.

That is interesting. The new iMacs made it look like they were moving away from user serviceable parts. Strange that they would make more laptop parts user serviceable.

God know that when our Macbook gets flung to hard surface and the HDD dies we want to change that baby pronto!

and can anyone provide a pic of where the RAM is located (I know where it is i just want a pic)

has anyone seen the glossy screens, do they look good or bad compared to the normal displays, and is this like a cover thing that goes over the screen or is it in the screen

It's in the screen to all intents and purposes but really it's a gloss finish applied to the screen (it's not removable). From what I have seen and heard from those actually using them the colors are very, very vivid (a big improvement) and while reflection is high it's only so when viewing from an angle. If anything this could be marketed as security (like an ATM) because the user will never use the MacBook at an angle and onlookers can only see a mirror.

My best guess as to why Apple has such a big surcharge for the black model is that they use HP ink to paint 'em black. :lol:

Imagine that you are the administrator of a laptop program at a school or business. Wouldn't you just LOVE that you could swap in a brand new drive that was already imaged. This is really brilliant.

Sometimes Apple does stuff that is really not very stupid at all.

Imagine that you are the administrator of a laptop program at a school or business. Wouldn't you just LOVE that you could swap in a brand new drive that was already imaged. This is really brilliant.

Sometimes Apple does stuff that is really not very stupid at all.

I couldn't agree more. Obviously this gives opportunity for users to do so also, but it's highly unlikely that anyone would be sneaky enough to do so in a public space without being asked what they are doing. I really think this was designed for the education/business market. Of course with spare MacBooks or even cradles it would be great if administrators could create a number of pre-imaged HDDs for quick and simple fixes and I really think this is specifically designed for educational use.

As far as glossy screens go, the last PC notebook I bought was a Sony VAIO 13.3" widescreen with a 1280 by 800 glossy display. I instantly loved that display. Many have commented about the glare, but I find I can usually put the laptop and myself in a position to eliminate or greatly minimize the glare.

I miss the vivid colors that this Sony produces, so I'm looking forward to the feature on mine.

BTW, my MacBook has left Suzhou China, which is in Jiangsu Province north of Shanghai. I paid for expedited service too.

Is it here yet?

What's the difference between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro?

Look at Apple's website, but here is a general idea. iBook is to PowerBook as MacBook is to MacBook Pro.

What's the difference between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro?

Look at Apple's website, but here is a general idea. iBook is to PowerBook as MacBook is to MacBook Pro.

if your asking what the difference is between an ibook/macbook and a powerbook/macbookpro it is basically the graphics. I believe you can only get the glossy screen in the macbook, you can only output up to a 23" lcd, you get less VRAM and you get an integrated video card. I am sure there are other differences but for me thats what I think is the biggest noticeable difference.

Take a look at the story on MacCast.com, it explains all.

Glossy screens are available on both actually by the way.

Take a look at the story on MacCast.com, it explains all.

Glossy screens are available on both actually by the way.

What I meant was that I thought on the macbook you could only get the glossy screen and not the matte.

not much but the main are screen size and intergrated graphics.