Sign in to follow this  
sincitymedic

MACBOOK IS HERE!!!!

i don't get why someone would want a 17 inch laptop, it's supposed to be portable and a 17 inch wide slab isn't as portable as a small 13 inch one

Take a look at the story on MacCast.com, it explains all.

Glossy screens are available on both actually by the way.

Are glossy screens more vulnerable to fingerprints?

Not really. From my experience the fact that they are slightly reflective simply means that less light shines through the fingerprint (from the display) while more light is reflected around the fingerprint (from the natural/indoor light). Overall it evens out. Some say it is, but I'd argue that in all honesty.

Also remember that the keys no longer touch the screen, so you should get less dirt and grime on the screen right there.

Looks like they got rid of the ibooks all together.

Sucks becuase we aren't ready to go to intel at work here.

What to do now! :shock:

Call up apple, you'll find plenty.

Hey MacCast world. Not sure if this was the BEST place to post about this, but I wanted to share my initial thoughts on my brand new MacBook.

The first feature that really striked me was the trackpad. It's huge (which I surprisingly like.. the first time I saw a huge trackpad on a 17'' PowerBook I thought it was ridiculous, hehe), and it has a really different, nice texture to it. Also absolutely LOVE the two-finger click = ctrl-click feature.. ah, another thing I will try to do on everyone else's laptop to no avail ;-)

Another thing I quickly noticed was that the front edge of the computer, where your wrists rest while typing... has a rather uncomfortable sharp edge. Maybe just takes some getting used to placing your hands properly or something, but... ow!

The other very new feature is the keyboard. My immediate reaction was just that it is very different. It's easy to type on, though, and is nice and quiet, so I think I'm going to like it a lot, too. I didn't really notice how much it was built into the computer from the pictures online, but it really is just... like... keys on the computer, and not a "keyboard" unit.

Finally, the MacBook is larger than I expected. I don't really feel like I've lost much screen real-estate compared to my 15'' PB. I was actually kind of hoping it was a little bit smaller. Tomorrow I'll put it on top of my PB and see the actual size difference.

Haven't used it much (just got it this evening), but one thing my fiancé noticed when he was fiddling on it was that Safari is WAY faster on this thing than it was on my PowerBook G4.

Speaking of my PowerBook.. I am selling it to a friend in Canada (I go to University up there), but my Dad did some initial research and there doesn't seem to be any good way to ship it to her without a lot of time and monetary overhead... if anyone has some ideas on how I could get my computer to her without physically going to Canada myself that'd be great. Otherwise she may just have to wait until school starts again in the Fall to get it..

All right, well if anyone has any questions about the MacBook I can offer my thoughts and opinions (and I'll probably have better answers in a few days after I've used it a little more!).

So far I'm very happy, though.

Shipping to Canada?

I once shipped an older laptop from Ireland to Canada and it was no problem. Since it's not new there *should* be no customs problems. I just used regular Irish parcel airmail service, took about 1.5 weeks! ( Ok that was in March 2004 and it cost me about $76 at the time).

There really shouldn't be a problem, it;s just like sending a 5Kg package up there.

I agree. I know when I have items shipped here to Canada from the States, I always fare better if it's just sent via regular USPS. A used computer marked as a gift shouldn't have any problems at the border I don't think. I would avoid any couriers though. They always charge at least 15 bucks just for administration getting it across the border. :?