Sign in to follow this  
deadlyhifi

testing IE on a Mac

deadlyhifi    0

Since MS has stopped maing IE for the Mac how do people test websites to make sure they work in IE?

Is there a place I can still download IE5? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

You could use MS Virtual PC on a G4 or G5 Mac, or use Parallels Workstation on an Intel Mac, and in either case you can run any number of Windows web browsers to evaluate your pages.

I prefer using Parallels Workstation on an Intel iMac. Not only does this let me try any Windows browser, but I can quickly size the window down to 1024 by 768 to see how my pages fit on such a display.

The Mac version of IE really had to die, it was so dreadfully bad at page rendering.

deadlyhifi    0

so I have to run windows to use IE? Either through a virtual machine or with bootcamp?

Is there no easier solution through a browser acting like IE?

houltmac    254

Testing in certain Mac browsers has provided a good idea of how most websites work in IR in the past, but with IE moving into version 7 it's no longer a plausible test. Your best bet is to run WXP (as The Professor says) in whichever way you choose and test it in the real thing. (You do have an Intel Mac after-all so you can run BootCamp and upwards.)

deadlyhifi    0

I guess that is my only option. I was so excited to get away from Windows. Also it takes up valuable disk space.

Is it possible tp run windows through bootcamp from an external hard drive?

houltmac    254

You could still try other browsers or I have found http://www.browsercam.com/ which may help. There are a few ways out there still but it will take some Googling.

As for installing WXP on an external drive, yes, you can. It has been done but it's not simple. Natively Windows does not boot from USB or FW, BootCamp won't install to anything but your main startup volume and then you have drivers too. This discussion may however help if you read through it a little and ignore the first 5 or so posts.

deadlyhifi    0

Thanks for all your help. I guess I'd better start researching...

I don't suppose you have a spare Google Analytics invitation code as well do you? ;)

houltmac    254

I don't even have one myself, sorry. :)

themacman4    0

Why are you getting so worried about IE anyway? Also I would think that people who use to test IE would still have IE. For example, I still have IE because I got it before they dropped support (it actually came with my mac since I got it in 2001), it still works as well as it use to, which is not saying much.

joshr    0
Why are you getting so worried about IE anyway? Also I would think that people who use to test IE would still have IE. For example, I still have IE because I got it before they dropped support (it actually came with my mac since I got it in 2001), it still works as well as it use to, which is not saying much.

I don't think it is really that useful to test IE 5, or is it 4, when IE 7 is coming out.

jasonium    0
Why are you getting so worried about IE anyway?

If you are a web developer, then you need to test your site on all browsers to check for errors. The majority of people use IE.