Sign in to follow this  
Allizard

one library sharing with 2 profiles on the same mac

I'm considering buying a iPod photo and my wife already got iPod mini.

I want my iTune library to be shared on both login accounts and have their own autosync list.

This is what I'd done so far...

1. Copy itune music folder into the sharing folder. Set permission to system

2. create Alias for itunes library and itunes music library.xml and copy them to each login profile where itune music folder is.

3. set permission on itunes library and the xml file in the share folder to group admin/read&write. Both of my login account is in the admin group.

4. login to each account and set the library location in itune advance setting.

So far, I can access itune and see the same library on the both accounts. But only one account able to add music. And if I change the tags for autosync, it will also change the tags for the other login profile.

I'm almost there. But I think either one of the file permission isn't set right or it shouldn't be share for autosync.

So... Exactly what is the XML file for? Anyone?

Come on guys. I can't be the only one who's trying to share the same library with 2 ipods. Help me out please.

Come on guys. I can't be the only one who's trying to share the same library with 2 ipods. Help me out please.

I think you are the only one on here who can afford two iPods. :roll:

Sorry... couldn't resist. Seriously, I wouldn't know since I only have the one iPod. My wife thinks it is cool, but she does not want me to get another one. I asked her last night if I could give her my iPod Mini and get one of the new 20 gig color iPods. Uhh... that did not go very far. :)

I have a 20gb iPod and my wife has a 40gb iPod. We both sync under my same login as she doesn't use my mac. I'm try to get her to manager her own music on her powerbook though.

I have a 20gb iPod and my wife has a 40gb iPod. We both sync under my same login as she doesn't use my mac. I'm try to get her to manager her own music on her powerbook though.

That's what I want to avoid. I want to have two different login on my powerbook and itune on each accounts share the same library but have their own autosync list.

Ok, I'm on a PC, but this is what I do with my ipod and my mom's ipod mini.

1. close itunes in my account

2. switch users to mom's account

3. open itunes in her account

4. sync up with her ipod mini

5. close itunes

6. log mom off

7. sign back into my account

8. opn itunes

9. listen to podcasts!

Ok, I'm on a PC, but this is what I do with my ipod and my mom's ipod mini.

1. close itunes in my account

2. switch users to mom's account

3. open itunes in her account

4. sync up with her ipod mini

5. close itunes

6. log mom off

7. sign back into my account

8. opn itunes

9. listen to podcasts!

Are you sure you have only ONE library and no duplicate mp3 files?

Allen,

You could try copying the folder called iTunes (which holds the iTunes Music folder and the iTunes Library file) from your user account area to the new shared location and make your aliases to that folder.

I have done this before when I did not have enough disk space on my laptop for my iTunes library. I kept my library on a seperate desktop Mac, mounted that machine on my laptop desktop and created an alias to the iTunes folder. Whenever I started up iTunes on my laptop it would go out and try to connect to that machine, mount it to my desktop and access the iTunes library. I could manage the library from either machine separately but obviously not at the same time. If I did try to connect from one when the other still had iTunes open then I would get an error about the iTunes library being locked. You just need to quit out when you are done so the other can get access.

I did not try to change autosync information but I did add songs from either machine. I know this because it was painfully slow over the network from my laptop so if I had a lot to add I would do it at the local machine instead.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Allen,

You could try copying the folder called iTunes (which holds the iTunes Music folder and the iTunes Library file) from your user account area to the new shared location and make your aliases to that folder.

I have done this before when I did not have enough disk space on my laptop for my iTunes library. I kept my library on a seperate desktop Mac, mounted that machine on my laptop desktop and created an alias to the iTunes folder. Whenever I started up iTunes on my laptop it would go out and try to connect to that machine, mount it to my desktop and access the iTunes library. I could manage the library from either machine separately but obviously not at the same time. If I did try to connect from one when the other still had iTunes open then I would get an error about the iTunes library being locked. You just need to quit out when you are done so the other can get access.

I did not try to change autosync information but I did add songs from either machine. I know this because it was painfully slow over the network from my laptop so if I had a lot to add I would do it at the local machine instead.

Hope this helps,

Tim

I'm already sharing the itune folders. I just want to be able to do autosync all without using the playlist. AT the moment I have to use seperate playlist to do autosync between 3 of my ipods.

Hello Allizard,

I have my iTunes Library on a different partition & a login on my mac for myself & my wife. We both share the same iTunes Library & both iPods autosync and get the same music.

I think I have added music from both logins, but on the whole I am not quite sure whats not working for you. What do you mean by "autosync tags"

As far as permissions go I have set the whole partition to RW for everyone else & ticked the box for ignore permissions on this volume.

I hope this helps in some way & I am happy to help further if you need more details.

Hello Allizard,

I have my iTunes Library on a different partition & a login on my mac for myself & my wife. We both share the same iTunes Library & both iPods autosync and get the same music.

I think I have added music from both logins, but on the whole I am not quite sure whats not working for you. What do you mean by "autosync tags"

As far as permissions go I have set the whole partition to RW for everyone else & ticked the box for ignore permissions on this volume.

I hope this helps in some way & I am happy to help further if you need more details.

humm... the tag are the checks in library. With the autosyn without playlist. It will copy all the songs with a check mark. I want to have different checks one for me and one for wife. Right now I can use autosync playlist to get this working. It's no biggie. What is not working is when I add music using my second login it doesn't seems to update the library.

iTunes Sharing

and also there is one for:

iPhoto Sharing

Hope this helps.

EDIT: After having a more detailed read.. its seems this is the proper way to share these Libraries. I have found out now that I have been doing the "poor mans" sharing technique. I will try this out tonight I think.

Humm... I thought iTunesharing only works when you are connecting with the network.

I am sorry if I used confusing titles for the links, however the articles describe how to use a single library on a computer from multiple user accounts where each person can have the same access as the owner.

They don't cover the inbuilt iTunes sharing from multiple computers over the network.

Regards.