Sign in to follow this  
ramtha

FSCK disc check tip and a question.

I saw a great tip recently for checking your disc and having a peep under the hood at UNIX.

Restart your Mac and hold down Apple + S, after the boot chime, to start in single user mode.

Type fsck -y -f.

The -y is Yes, fix all errors and -f forces checking on journaled discs. If you get a message saying errors where fixed, use the up keyboard arrow and re-run fsck - y -f until you get a message saying everying this fine.

My question? What is journaling and is there another type of disk format I might want to try?

Journaling is a method of tracking data locations on a disk so that it can be restored more easily and reliably if there is a file system problem. It is modern, efficient and reliable. I think it is the superior choice right now.

If you have to run fsck to fix a disk problem, your chances of success are better if it is a journaled volume.

FAT32 offers the advantage of being read/write capable under Windows or OS X, while NTFS is a superior system for Windows users, but OS X will not write to an NTFS volume.

Many non-BSD *nix variants have used ext2 and ext3 filesystems, but these are older and not quite as good as a journaled file system.