Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest

If I Lick My MacBook Battery Will I Get Shocked?

Recommended Posts

Guest

I have a question. If I lick my MacBook battery will I get shocked? I've licked other types of batteries before, but never a laptop battery.

 

Thanks,

 

- MT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends, if its plugged in and on/off probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DO IT! Do it!

 

and get it on film for the rest of us.

 

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DO IT! Do it!

 

and get it on film for the rest of us.

 

:lol:

And I will send it to "America's Stupidest Home Videos."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shouldnt it be sent to 'america's funniest home videos'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have a question. If I lick my MacBook battery will I get shocked? I've licked other types of batteries before, but never a laptop battery.

 

Thanks,

 

- MT

 

I tried licking an AC adapter before.... It was for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe you want to lick it after it's been off for a day or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Answer to your Question: on a good charge, + and -- = ZAP!

 

An interpetation: Positive plus negative polarity will meet through the saliva on your tongue and you may feel the heat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and always remember, its the amperage that kills you not the voltage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A current in the range of 0.006-0.2 Amps is all that's needed to stop the heart. Of course that is to be the current that reaches the heart, the body's electric resistance filters out a lot of current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I licked a 9volt battery when I was younger and it really hurt. The macbook battery would fry your tongue.

 

I say give it a lick. You could become the first Mac Martyr. You'd be a legend! And probably win a Darwin Award too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO current will reach your heart. Why would it go through your body, only to get to rubber shoes, or even a wood floor, when it could just go through the toungue and saliva and leave? And why would it go anywhere but said toungue when all it wants to do is get to the other contact, centimeters away?

 

It will hurt, and maybe burn your toungue (a 9 volt battery will hurt, this is more, with more current), but it won't actually hurt you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was little I licked a 9V serveral times. It doesn't hurt a bit athough it tastes funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you must have an asbestos tongue then. Or I am a bit soft. Probably a bit of both

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to use my tongue to test batteries. Take a AA for example. With a nominal output of 1.5V it couldn't hurt a wet flea during a thunderstorm, so there is no danger of any harm at all. Here is the calibration procedure for my free, portable, organic battery tester.

 

1] Dampen your finger tip slightly

2] Using a brand new disposable alkaline battery, hold your moistened fingertip on the negative (flat) end of the battery

3] Touch the positive end (with the button-like projection) to your tongue, you will notice a distinct taste

4] While still holding the positive tip to your tongue, remove your moistened fingertip from the negative end of the battery

5] The strange metallic taste that was caused by the current flow is completely gone, now you are tasting the metallic tip of the battery itself

6] Put your finger back on the negative end again, observe the return of the taste caused by the electricity

7] Repeat letting go and touching the negative terminal a few times until you can clearly tell the difference between the taste of the battery and the taste caused by the current flow

8] Repeat all of these steps with an old or dead battery, note the reduced sensation from electrical flow when testing a weak battery

9] Congratulations! You are now a calibrated battery tester, er, taster

 

NOTE: Do not swallow the battery, if you swallow the battery immediately proceed to the nearest emergency medical care facility. Bring another battery with you to show to the nice doctors and nurses so they know what kind of battery you swallowed. Or just don't swallow the battery.

 

NOTE: Don't use a rechargable battery, it might be poisonous. Use only disposable batteries with your organic battery tester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get a really nice low resistance rechargable battery and short it out, it will go upwards of 250 amps and will kill you, and may blow up forcefully (I have seen a AA pack blow 50 feet across a room, don't mess with the full size "sub C" remote control car batteries)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why is this stupid post still alive? Please lick the battery and end this post, especially now that I have contributed. Damn there is no good answer :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"you gotta lick it, before you stick it."

 

funny.

of all the posts in there, this one seems to have some seriously invested people commenting. I mean, really, could this question be topped?

 

I'm just waiting for someone to tell us their laptop fell off the ladder they were using, into a vat of peanut butter, and they now can't decide if they should take a bite.

 

... remember that commercial? anyhow, thanks for the laughs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this sounds familiar to what I recently did. Yesterday (before I read this thread) I was playing around with the cord that plugs into my laptop (which is a Dell, and God no I didn't buy it, someone gave it to me for free, it only makes me feel better when I come back to my mac, buy I digress) and I had it around my mouth (while it was still plugged in) and it must have shocked my just below my lip because I had a sharp stab of pain. Maybe it was something else, but idk, would a laptop battery be worse then the charger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
this sounds familiar to what I recently did. ...and I had it around my mouth (while it was still plugged in) and it must have shocked my just below my lip because I had a sharp stab of pain. Maybe it was something else, but idk, would a laptop battery be worse then the charger?

 

In order to charge a battery a charger must apply a higher voltage than the rated voltage of the battery. So your charger gave you a better hit than your battery would have. Chargers tend to range from about 12VDC to about 20VDC. Still not enough to harm you in any serious way, but I can picture it being unpleasant.

 

We're still talking peanuts here. For a good shock try the high voltage connector on the bell of a CRT. That'll get your juices flowing.

 

All this talk of electric shock reminds me of the good old days when I was a TV Repairman. This dates back to the time when electronic products used vacuum tubes instead of transistors or integrated circuits.

 

There was only one time I got a really, really bad shock. This set had a power transformer that was supposed to isolate the chassis from local earth ground and hot lines. This made it safe to touch this chassis and ground at the same time. All nicely isolated, no worries, and I knew this.

 

So I'm leaning against a massive cast iron radiator, covered in sweat on a hot day, when I reach under this TV to adjust the focus. My hand touched the lip of the chassis and I was out cold.

 

Fortunately for me my customer was right there, and he unplugged the TV when I started vibrating.

 

I woke up wondering what this guy was doing in my livingroom, when of course I was in his.

 

It turned out that a short between the primary and secondary windings in this transformer had put the chassis 600 volts above ground. Under the circumstances, with me grounded against my back, current was flowing through the trunk of my body. It could have very easily killed me, because there was lots and lots of current available from this transformer.

 

After that I was much more cautious about touching plumbing fixtures while I was working on a TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fortunately for me my customer was right there, and he unplugged the TV when I started vibrating.

 

Normally I would just write a quick LOL, but I laughed so hard I almost wet myself.

 

If you'd known better at the time, you could have marketed this technique as a home defibrillator and made millions.

 

Still laughing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

×