Sign in to follow this  
SirOmega

DC Adaptor for Macbook?

I'm going on a plane flight in a month or so, and I'm wondering if there are any DC power adaptors for the MacBook (cigarrette lighter-style)? Googling didnt get me very far. Thanks!

How's about this?

How's about this?

That was looking pretty good, until I read this part:

"Note that this power inverter is not compatible with MacBook or MacBook Pro notebooks."

That was looking pretty good, until I read this part:

"Note that this power inverter is not compatible with MacBook or MacBook Pro notebooks."

I knew that, I was testing you! :evil:

(Why wouldn't it work with the new notebooks? I can't see a reason. Kensington sell 3 models on their own website and the MacBook is 65W while the MBP is 85W... They should work right? [Obviously the one I pointed out wouldn't work with a MBP but you all know what I mean])

I knew that, I was testing you! :evil:

How'd I do? :)

(Why wouldn't it work with the new notebooks? I can't see a reason. Kensington sell 3 models on their own website and the MacBook is 65W while the MBP is 85W... They should work right? [Obviously the one I pointed out wouldn't work with a MBP but you all know what I mean])

It is not immediately clear why they would say this. These DC to AC inverters often put out a very dirty AC waveform, if you look at it with an oscilloscope you're likely to see a sawtooth waveform instead of the expected sine wave.

When you then connect a switched power supply, as notebook power supplies tend to be, you may have a situation where a badly shaped input power waveform has a bad effect on the reliability or output of the notebook switched power supply.

I'm just guessing though, it certainly seems very strange.

that type of power transformer gets very hot and it will stop working untill it cools down. i would recommend getting someting like this with a fan in it. i have one made by radio shack and i use it all the time and it works great for running both my powerbook and macbook pro off of it.

that type of power transformer gets very hot and it will stop working untill it cools down. i would recommend getting someting like this with a fan in it. i have one made by radio shack and i use it all the time and it works great for running both my powerbook and macbook pro off of it.

Aren't you trying to get on a plane? Do you think you would get a power inverter like that on a plane? Also is there a cigarette lighter power plug on a plane?

i forgot about the plane part. matt got me confused when he first gave the dc power inverter.

The question was directed more at the professor except for the part about being able to get that particular power inverter on the plane. What did you have in mind? As far as I understand there is no power outlet of any kind on a plane.

i think that the only thing is to have extra batterys. there is the option that maybe solar power could work but that is not very likly at all.

There was a Belkin or something that we had for Powerbooks and iBooks. You could change the adaptor so that it would work with those plane plugins. Unfortunatly, it was overall crap, and died before we had a chance to use it anywhere but the car.''If you get an inverter to go from DC to AC and back again, you will lose effieciency. An iBook with a "45 watt" adaptor does not take 45 watts from the wall, it puts in 45 watts to the notebook... and may draw 60 watts from the wall. You really want a 400 watt inverter...

Also is there a cigarette lighter power plug on a plane?

Yes there is.

The MacBook takes DC in. I dont want to go DC -> AC -> DC, that just seems like a lot of wasted energy and a lot of heat. I figured there would be a cigarette lighter plug, a little box to check voltages and provide protection and such, and then into the laptop.

Yes there is.

The MacBook takes DC in. I dont want to go DC -> AC -> DC, that just seems like a lot of wasted energy and a lot of heat. I figured there would be a cigarette lighter plug, a little box to check voltages and provide protection and such, and then into the laptop.

Cool I didn't know that. So then do you think you could get a big converter on a plane if thats all that is out there?

I was hoping for something that doesnt involve going back to AC current. I may just wing it on battery power and pack my AC adapter in my suitcase. Oh well.

PS - My first post from my new MacBook. 1.83Ghz/1GB/60GB - yeah!

The magsafe connector is an apple patent. It may not be so easy for other companies to make devices with a magsafe connector therefore.

Yes there is.

An MD-80? Wow, I don't think I've even heard about those for maybe 6 years, I didn't know they were still in the air. I think the last time I flew in one was about 8 years ago...

Yesterday I purchased an inexpensive cigarette lighter style 12V DC to 3 prong 110 VAC power inverter and then used my MacBook power supply with it during a 2 hour car ride. Everything worked very well. I'll be using this solution on my flight to Scotland later this summer.

For more details please see the entry on this subject in my blog.

And please promise not to do this while driving a car!

Yes there is.

An MD-80? Wow, I don't think I've even heard about those for maybe 6 years, I didn't know they were still in the air. I think the last time I flew in one was about 8 years ago...

American Airlines and Alaska Airlines are both using many MD-80s and MD-82s. I think they are great airplanes, on flights not over oceans they are my favorite plane to be on.

American Airlines and Alaska Airlines are both using many MD-80s and MD-82s. I think they are great airplanes, on flights not over oceans they are my favorite plane to be on.

What about most planes? I fly to upstate new york fairly often and my macbookpro will probably run a little short on battery life. Whatever the average plane I will be on should I plan for it to have a cigeratte lighter power port?

What about most planes? I fly to upstate new york fairly often and my macbookpro will probably run a little short on battery life. Whatever the average plane I will be on should I plan for it to have a cigeratte lighter power port?

The types of power connectors available vary by airline, not by aircraft type.

I believe that Delta, United, and America's Worst (sometimes called America West)

all use the little Empower connectors, while American and some others use cigarette lighter connectors.

The types of power connectors available vary by airline, not by aircraft type.

I believe that Delta, United, and America's Worst (sometimes called America West)

all use the little Empower connectors, while American and some others use cigarette lighter connectors.

So if I have something like this http://laptopsforless.stores.yahoo.net/air...irpowadcor.html as well as the DC adapter you got [which one did you get that you expect to get on a plane?] and then you are set no matter who you fly with?

So if I have something like this http://laptopsforless.stores.yahoo.net/air...irpowadcor.html as well as the DC adapter you got [which one did you get that you expect to get on a plane?] and then you are set no matter who you fly with?

Yes, I think you would be pretty well covered in that case. The inverter I bought is the one from Harbor Freight, the URL is available 0n my blog.

Yes, I think you would be pretty well covered in that case. The inverter I bought is the one from Harbor Freight, the URL is available 0n my blog.

It was really dificult to find those links since they are not highlighted plus I wanted to add the amazon unit to my wish list for later and since it was still inside of your site I could not. Thanks for all the info though, very helpful.