Sign in to follow this  
QueenAretha

Classic on the MacBook?

I have old versions of Adobe Photoshop, GoLive, and Illustrator that I use regularly in OS 9 (remember that old thing?). I absolutely depend on these programs and can't afford to get new OS 10 versions, but I do need to upgrade my iBook soon unfortunately.

I haven't had a chance to play around with these new machines, so my question is "Is Classic even on the MacBook?" Oh, I hope so. If not, do I have options for running these programs on the new machines?

classic will not run on the macbooks or any intel chip. the os for intel comps will not let you run the apps and you can not remove 10.4 and install classic instead as it will not run on an intel chip.

I have old versions of Adobe Photoshop, GoLive, and Illustrator that I use regularly in OS 9 (remember that old thing?). I absolutely depend on these programs and can't afford to get new OS 10 versions, but I do need to upgrade my iBook soon unfortunately.

I haven't had a chance to play around with these new machines, so my question is "Is Classic even on the MacBook?" Oh, I hope so. If not, do I have options for running these programs on the new machines?

You can't continue to use those versions of the Adobe programs. Not only that but it is unbelievable what a difference CS2 will make in your workflow. Illustrator in particular is worlds better and it has Adobe streamline built in now which for me is HUGE. And... It is not that much money to upgrade, which you can do since you have Photoshop. Since you need GoLive it will cost you $450 dollars for the CS2 premium upgrade [illustrator, photoshop, InDesign, GoLive, and Acrobat] and thats only if you can't find a student or teacher of something to get you the educational price. You can also buy CS2 with your macbook and finance the whole thing through Apple.

I certainly don't mean to sound harsh but you have had plenty of time to save a few dollars over the years to invest in your work flow. It's not like OSX just arrived this year. It's been over 5 years now since it became the default OS on Macs. Nobody should be running anything in Mac OS9 anymore. Think of OS9 as the aged Windows 95. If you can afford a new computer get new software.

I certainly don't mean to sound harsh but you have had plenty of time to save a few dollars over the years to invest in your work flow. It's not like OSX just arrived this year. It's been over 5 years now since it became the default OS on Macs. Nobody should be running anything in Mac OS9 anymore. Think of OS9 as the aged Windows 95. If you can afford a new computer get new software.

Maybe (s)he is broke from buying a new Mac.

I agree.

I understand if you want to use thesew os 9 apps. You could try running os 9 on your ibook and save your OS X work for intel. It would most likely be faster than using the intel (especially with the intel emulation)

I agree.

I understand if you want to use thesew os 9 apps. You could try running os 9 on your ibook and save your OS X work for intel. It would most likely be faster than using the intel (especially with the intel emulation)

I doubt an ibook is going to be much faster than rosetta. ;) I was experimenting and to get my MBP to the level of performance of a 1.33ghz ibook I had ti disable one core and throttle it to only 1ghz and even then it was slightly faster.