Sign in to follow this  
msteitz

G5 iMac fan

msteitz    0

Hi folks. I suffer from the oft mentioned "noisy G5 iMac fan." I'm wondering if anyone here in the Maccast community has dealt with the problem and successfully resolved it with Apple? If anybody did deal with Apple was it fairly straightforward or are there a lot of issues surrounding the subjectivity of "loud?"

Thanks!

Marty

djducat    0

You know, my new iMac G5 2.0ghz has the same problem (so much for the theory that rev b solves the problem). Mine has a buzzing noise coming out of one of the fans. You only notice it in a totally quiet room. If the TV or radio is on, it is less noticable.

I had already gone through a DOA with my imac purchase, and I did not have the time to make yet another trip to the apple store to swap out another mac during the 14 day time period, so now I am going to have to go through the apple care repair routine.

I was driving by the apple store in Littleton, CO a few weeks back, and decided to stop in. There was too much noise in the store for me to make a comparison, so I asked the "genius" if he could show me an iMac in a dead quiet room (maybe the back room or something) so I could figure out whether or not the noise was normal for an iMac. He refused, so I guess I have to drag mine in.

You just KNOW that I'll take it in, and 3 days later I'll get a call that it is fine, but it is not, and I've been struggling with how to get this thing fixed. Lots of people describe their iMac as dead quiet, mine is not.

I wish Apple Care had onsite service so someone could come to my quiet house and hear what I hear.

Dan

greenoak    0

I have a new iMac G5 2.0 and when there are several heavy applications open (iTunes, iMovie or Photoshop), the fan does crank. And if I'm doing some built-in Nanosaur then the fan cranks up too. Pretty damn loud in fact - just like you all describe.

But I have my Energy Preference Settings to be Automatic instead of Highest Performance. That makes a big difference. And I tend to shut down applications when I'm not using them - even though I have a ton of RAM. It's a habit I get from my Windows' machines. I know it's not necessary to quit out of applications, but it takes less toil on the CPU and hence less fan noise.

But like right now typing this with multiple users logged-in, and just Mail and Safari up, it's pretty quiet. No complaints.

mkp    0

Hey iMac Owners,

Want to make your iMac sound like it's about to lift off? Start it up with a CD/DVD inside.

Yay.

djducat    0

When I am talking about fan noise, there are two different levels. There is the standard WOOSHING that a fan makes, and that gets louder when the mac gets busy, and then there is this VERY annoying buzzing sound that comes from one of the fans, even at idle. You can only hear it in a quiet room, but it changes pitch when the fan does kick up, so I know it's a fan.

I plan to take it into the store when I have time. Other than that annoying noise, I am loving this box. I ordered a 1gb stick of memory last week!

D

I have the same annoying buzzing noise. It is not the whooshing air of the fans but some vibrating buzz that is present at idle.

There are three fans, and two are absolutely silent. The culprit is the fan that is ported to the G5 processor. On the 17" iMac it is on the bottom left corner, and on the 20" I believe it is in the top right corner. On the Rev.A the fan is connected to the midplane (Logic Board) but on the Rev.B it is a standalone part and can be removed DIY. You might consider going to the Apple website and requesting a replacement be mailed, free of charge (if under the 1-Year or AppleCare plan). You can replace it yourself and hopefully the new unit will be quieter. I ordered mine yesterday, should be here soon.

Some have replaced the unit (fan+encasement) and claimed no change. Others have gone so far as to remove the encasement and remount the fan witih blue-tak and claim the buzzing stopped. This might lead one to think that the encasement is acting as some sort of amplifier or baffle. The other 2 fans have no enclosures and are silent.

Please keep me posted with any progress you make!

Thanks

djducat    0

The lower fan is the culprit, and I have had Apple send me two replacements now, and they sound the same. I too have removed the outer housing and found the sound goes away, which makes me believe that that fan housing is acting as a resonance chamber. As I see it, there are 3 options until Apple addresses the problem.

1. Live with it, and use the iPod while you compute

2. Partially remove the outer housing like this guy http://homepage.mac.com/bentsn1/PhotoAlbum59.html

3. Come up with some kind of coating to put inside the fan housing to absorb the noise. Do such materials exist? I am thinking about some kind of adhesive tape that absorbs sound and could be used inside the housing, or something that could be sprayed on?

Apple will send you a replacement fan for the issue (I've been sent 2), but it does not make a difference.

It really is a shame to have such a great machine ruined by such an annoying noise.

Dan

castufari    0

There are sound deadening kits for fans...my PC has rubber "gaskets" that wrap around the edges of the fans. All of my other case screws have silicon washers, I have no vibrations at all now.

Where might one acquire such a kit? I wonder if these kits only work on "normal" PC fans instead of designer Apple fans?

John

castufari    0

Newegg has them, they're just sound deadening kits. Are the fans of a special size? You might be able to pick up a few silicone washers at your local hardware store.

Ender    0

You could try throwing a little dynamat in there, it's dampening material usually used in high end car audio.

[zerophase]    0

i don;t own a imac g5 and i was actually thinkinof gettin one but i just wanted to know how often this fan noise problems occur in the machines and how much it bothers u/how much sound it makes ahah

djducat    0
]i don;t own a imac g5 and i was actually thinkinof gettin one but i just wanted to know how often this fan noise problems occur in the machines and how much it bothers u/how much sound it makes ahah

Well, apple support sent me two replacement fans, and they sound exactly the same. It seems highly unlikely that I'd have 3 defective fans, so it seems to me that most likely all macs make this noise, and some are more sensitive to it than others.

The only time I notice it is when the room is dead quiet in the middle of the night. Turn on the TV or radio, and it is mostl masked.

It's not catastrophic, it's just really annoying to drop that kind of money on a box that was once described on their site as "whisper quiet" only to have to resort to using the ipod when using the mac.

If you are interested in reading further, there are a number of threads on the apple forums discussing the issue. Some threads have been deleted by apple, but the ones that remain will cover the issue in depth.

Mr Nice    0

I have had my iMac for 2 weeks now.Its great computer and i'am glad i made the switch,but the fans are getting loud now :(

So i guess its a common problem.dont fancy doing a diy fix.Anyone had sucess fixing this with apple?

mannymix03    0

if your really good with electronics..... just replace the fan with a lower rpm fan.... be warned though.... the fan spins fast to eliminate heat... you could get a little too hot by tuning down the rpm if you dont know what you are doing.....

My next project.... WATERCOOLING !