Sign in to follow this  
jb.music

Speed

Forgive me if this is an unbearably "newbie" question. This week while my 1.5GHz (1GB RAM) PowerBook G4 is in the shop I'm using my wife's 3-year-old 1GHz iMac (768MB RAM), booted from a copy of my system (10.4.6). And her machine is noticeably faster than mine. I know clock speed is not the whole ball game, and so I have two questions:

1) What can I do to make my system run faster?

and

2) In considering which Mac to buy next, what factors will most affect speed?

Thanks for your advice!

Forgive me if this is an unbearably "newbie" question. This week while my 1.5GHz (1GB RAM) PowerBook G4 is in the shop I'm using my wife's 3-year-old 1GHz iMac (768MB RAM), booted from a copy of my system (10.4.6). And her machine is noticeably faster than mine. I know clock speed is not the whole ball game, and so I have two questions:  

1) What can I do to make my system run faster?

and

2) In considering which Mac to buy next, what factors will most affect speed?

Thanks for your advice!

Repair permissions, and zap your PRAM. Also a new copy of OSX will always run very fast.

Also, if you have a ton of "junk" on your machine, it will eventually slow you down.

I think in a post a few months ago, there was a program called WhatSize which let you look at what's taking the most disk space on your computer and see if you really need it. Another way is, as mentioned on the podcast, go to activity monitor and see which hidden processees you dont need.