Sign in to follow this  
jassigal

In-Store vs. Online

Hey everone,

I had a quick question. Actually, a few. I'm currently on windows, and I'm lookign forward to switching over the summer to a MBP.

Is there an advantage to buying online or in the retail stores...

Also, can you order custom computers (ie add more ram) in the store, or only online?

Last question: Can you use apple gift cards online, and if so, can you use multiple ones?

Thanks!

the retail stores can add more ram(only theirs, dont recommend theirs) but you will have to pay more becuase you will keep the ram that came with the computer. this is same with all upgrades. so saying this, i like to buy my computers in the store and have done so with every one i have gotten, i like to get them then and there and not have to wait for shipping.

i have tryed to order with gift cards and i dont think you can(they may of changed this, i tryed after the mighty mouse was realeased).

i would never buy any of apples upgrades. they charge way too much for them.

The reason that I chose not to buy online was because when the macbook pro first came out it had a bit of a lead time. This meant it would have taken up to 2 weeks after placing the order before it shipped. Not only did this suck because you had to wait but also because Apple does not charge your card till they ship. Since I used my check card it meant I would have essentially written a 2800 dollar check and then made sure I held the balance for a couple of weeks. This may not be an issue for a lot of people but it was for me. Plus I just walked into the store and bought it in cash which was nice.

Also if you buy a built to order system they will be much more likely to send it out for service rather than touching it in the store.

Thanks for your help so far!

But i still have a question...

Can you buy built-to-order computers (specifically a mbp with more ram) in the stores?

you can buy the apple ram along with the ram that comes with the comp. they will only install apple ram into the comps but i would recommend that as they charge their ram way too much.

Im sorry, but im still not following what your saying...

I want to buy a 2.0 ghz MBP. It comes standered with 512 ram... but I want to order 100 ram. Can I order the computer built-to-order (with the upgraded ram) at the apple retail store?

I was wondering because I have some apple gift cards i'd like to use.

1. you walk into the apple store,

2. order you mbp and say that you want to have them put more ram into the comp.

3. they will change you for the ram and install it once you buy the computer.

and the end you will have;

a. mbp w/ new ram (the ram you bought)

b. 512mb ram (the original ram that was in the computer)

p.s. apple charges way to much for the ram so i wouldnt buy it, just buy it and install it yourself. it is easy just follow the instructions.

this is what i was trying to say. hope this helps.

Ok, now i think i got it... So would I walk out with one that day (assuming they have the computer in stock, and choose to have them install the ram).

But ill take that into consideration (about installing my own).

it doesnt sound like you have installed ram before but it very easy indeed to install ram into the computers. just follow the step by step instructions and you will be good.

I did what joshr did. Just yesterday I got my macbook in the apple store, 'cause I didn't really want to wait, and cause this way, I can replace my hard drive and ram for much less, and still have the old ones to use. RAM - well, it's a little harder to find use for it, but I'll be buying a 2.5" external case for the hard drive, and the new bigger drive will be going into the macbook.

Oh, and so far: Lovin' it.

1. you walk into the apple store,

2. order you mbp and say that you want to have them put more ram into the comp.

3. they will change you for the ram and install it once you buy the computer.

and the end you will have;

a. mbp w/ new ram (the ram you bought)

b. 512mb ram (the original ram that was in the computer)

p.s. apple charges way to much for the ram so i wouldnt buy it, just buy it and install it yourself. it is easy just follow the instructions.  

this is what i was trying to say. hope this helps.

What about if I buy it online. One 20" iMac and select the 1GB option. I would get a PC with just the one 1GB RAM simm in it, right?

If you replace the RAM yourself, you'll want to keep the original RAM on hand at least until the warranty runs out. The reason is that Apple is prone to blaming issues on RAM that they didn't supply. If you ever have a problem, you'll want to put the original RAM back in and verify that the problem still exists before taking it to Apple.

If all you're customizing is memory, I agree that there's no real penalty to buying from the retail store. That's how I bought my MacBook, and stuck memory in myself. The advantage is you get your machine right away, and may pay less for your RAM than even ordering a BTO machine online would cost.